can you have too big of a squish clearance?

After several tries I have determined my squish is right at .062" and I am wondering if I have too much or if this is causing any kind of lose in power or anything.

When I redid my top end the base gaskets were pretty thick.

Im running a Noss head as well with 20cc domes.

thanks

That is too much for my liking. I had a bike with that much squish about 8 months ago that the owner could not get to run right, and he said it did not have as much bottom end as it used to. I checked the squish and it was at about .062"! I tore it down and brought it down to .045" and it ran great.

You check it with a piece of hollow core solder, paralell to your wrist pin, all the way out at the edge of the cylinder near the wall. You roll over the motor by hand very slowly, then check the thickness of the solder with a dial caliper all the way across the squished area of the solder. The lowest point is your minimal squish.

That is too much for my liking. I had a bike with that much squish about 8 months ago that the owner could not get to run right, and he said it did not have as much bottom end as it used to. I checked the squish and it was at about .062"! I tore it down and brought it down to .045" and it ran great.

ok well first how can I bring it down? I have no idea what gaskets I have or what I need to order.

Is there a certain spot on the gasket I need to measure? There is enough overhang on them installed that I can get my caliper on them and they seem to be around .47 or so.

Does that seem right? I bought my gaskets with my piston kit from rjatv last year. His site doesnt say what size gaskets come standard with the kit.

Where is a place the has different size gaskets in stock?

Is there a certain spot on the gasket I need to measure? There is enough overhang on them installed that I can get my caliper on them and they seem to be around .47 or so.

Does that seem right? I bought my gaskets with my piston kit from rjatv last year. His site doesnt say what size gaskets come standard with the kit.

Where is a place the has different size gaskets in stock?

.47 is almost a half inch ...i guess you must mean .047 and thats way to thick as it should be around .020 -.025 thick for a typical standard base gasket

ok, yeah I think that's my problem then. I'm gonna dig up my old ones and compare them.

I have had a terrible time getting my low end to run crisp. It always seems like it is running rich even though I have leaned it out as much as I can. Do you think this could be one of the reasons?

try using no base gasket on the bottom of your jugs...Instead use a good liquid gasket and apply it very thinly, let it tack up then tighten everything down and that will still seal good and give you more compression than using a gasket there. It works great, every little bit helps.

try using no base gasket on the bottom of your jugs...Instead use a good liquid gasket and apply it very thinly, let it tack up then tighten everything down and that will still seal good and give you more compression than using a gasket there. It works great, every little bit helps.

Do not listen to this guy. The only time you would want to do this is if your squish was at .089" with a .047" base gasket. This is not sound advice, as it would put your squish at .015" and it needs to be about 3 times that much.

Dont forget, if your running a head gasket, there is room to move the squish down there as well. Taking it to a thinner base gasket will raise compression, and lower the exhaust port for more bottom end. The gasket thicknesses have to be checked with pressure on the caliper to measure them compressed.