Bike Build

My dads wanting me to build him a motorcycle to cruise around on on the weekends. I'm not looking to spend a lot on the bike, and i plan on doing all the work my self. I was thinking about buying a basket case and going from there, but i'm not sure what bike and what model to get. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on what bike to build? If anyone on here has something similar to what i'm looking for that would be great too.

The first thing you'll have to figure out is if what style bike he wants, what kind of salvage, parts or dealers you have near to you.

next is a budget, and double it...:)

Basket cases are fun if you have the patience, the connections and know how to find parts and the time.

There are a whole lot of projects that never get done because people run out of one or the other(s).

The economy is shit, people are selling off left and right. Now is the time to buy used on craigslist, etc. Some true finds out there.

If you gotta spend a little more on a running complete bike vs. a basket case...which, you never know what you're getting, might be worth kicking in the extra bills.

Do you know what kind of bike he wants? sporty, cruiser type, small engine, big engine, etc?

He doesn't really care what we get, but if i'm building it i'm gonna ride it and i'm not riding an ugly bike around. I did a little research and it must be a hard tail. I only like those old school bikes in a hard tail style. Other wise they look like a moped. Your right about people selling there toys right now. Cash is king. I know i'll find something. Your also right about staying away from the basket cases. You never know with them. What do you guys think about a triumph tiger hard tail?