why did my pistons do this?

kodie

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not had any problems with .100"(or .120" either for that matter). But, the thinner the sleeve the more chance of something really bad happening :ermm: When you have hard detonation it is comparable to repeatedly smacking the top of the piston with a hammer. It shoves the piston around in the bore and sends sonic waves and vibrations through everything. Sooooo, when combustion chambers are detonating and pistons are grenading like yours in the pics, chances for bad things happening increase dramatically!

Good luck

• 1 month later...
Alot of things could have caused that... over heating, something getting into the motor, I think detonation will also cause that

Looks like a good cold seizure may have done it..... you have to let these liquid cooled 2 strokes warm up, to at least warm to the touch of the had on the cylinders. On the air cooled older ones you could just jump on those and haul ass, unless its very very cold, like single didgits. As was said though anything could have caused it. :cool:

Could of been detontation due to airleak but i dont think your jetting is off. Doesnt look like a cold sieze to me either. I have seen cast pistons do this when run in modified motors. Thats why we run Wiseco pistons in all our builds! What pistons are those?