20" to 22" paddles--do I need to gear down?

scuba147

I had 20 inch sand skate II's and a buddy's buddy ruined them--I just picked up a pair of 22" ITP sand stars cheap. I used to start in 2nd gear draggin w/no problem and am curious if I should gear down for these bigger tires. I have 15/42 gearing and ran it no problem. Curious if anyone did such a switch on a modded stock bike and how bad did the switch bog you down at the start. I was thinking of going to a 14 tooth or raising the rear a size or two. Going to the dunes next month and hope to not be changing sprockets in the parking lot. thanks for anyones input..

I used to run 15/41 but tried some 10 paddle haulers 3 years ago which trashed my rear sprocket in one day and was not getting the spin off the line I was looking for--I only used the 10 paddles for one weekend. So I changed the rear up one to compensate that weekend and its been on there ever since. I will double check the size of both gears this weekend.

Checked my gearing--I have 14/42 so I think I should be alright for now. Its been a couple years since I replaced/switched sprockets. I just hope I can start in second like I used to and not bog at the start with this setup. I will just have to wait and see next month.