Single Carb Setup!

What Is The Best Needle!  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been seeing alot of posts lately on the Single Carb Setup alot pertain to its performance against dual carbs or how to set it up for your bike. I recently switched from a single to dual 28 pwks and havent really noticed anything new on the bottom to mid except a little more of a hassle getting them tuned, jetted and synched.

I was thinking about putting my single setup back on but i never got it to totally run correct before. I think because I only had a DEK needle. Anyways this will be a good post for anyone with a single to chime in and let everyone know what you run so that way in the future we can direct people back to this when setting up their shees with the single carb.

1. Jets your running

2. Engine Mods

3. Pods or airbox

4. Exhaust

5. Elevation you ride at

6. Fual and ratio

If anyone can think of anything else please chime in.

I have been seeing alot of posts lately on the Single Carb Setup alot pertain to its performance against dual carbs or how to set it up for your bike. I recently switched from a single to dual 28 pwks and havent really noticed anything new on the bottom to mid except a little more of a hassle getting them tuned, jetted and synched.

I was thinking about putting my single setup back on but i never got it to totally run correct before. I think because I only had a DEK needle. Anyways this will be a good post for anyone with a single to chime in and let everyone know what you run so that way in the future we can direct people back to this when setting up their shees with the single carb.

1. Jets your running

2. Engine Mods

3. Pods or airbox

4. Exhaust

5. Elevation you ride at

6. Fual and ratio

If anyone can think of anything else please chime in.

EEK for a non-ported motor..... DEK or EEK on a ported motor depending on type of porting. Doesn't hurt to try an EEK on the motor, but you might have to go down a size or two on the main. Really tho, you need to get the main set, on a WOT plug check, then once you have your WOT / main jet dialed in, match the needle by riding and adjusting. All the needle does is meter the main jet from 1/4 throttle up to WOT, different needles allow the fuel to come in faster or slower, etc.

Yea I am gonna order a couple. The main issue i had with the DEK was my shee ran great from 1/4 to full throttle but was a little hard to start and always fouled plugs if let idle for more then like 20 seconds. It never smoked alot and I wasnt way off for the pilot and air screw. puzzling

trust me.. run the EEK. i had tuning issues when i first put mine on.. threw the EEK in.. and the tuning began.... i beleive that i have my carb dialed in now.. it runs pretty good with no issues.. but changing the needle was night and day difference.. so order a EEK and start tuning it.. let us know how you come out.

Yea I am gonna order a couple. The main issue i had with the DEK was my shee ran great from 1/4 to full throttle but was a little hard to start and always fouled plugs if let idle for more then like 20 seconds. It never smoked alot and I wasnt way off for the pilot and air screw. puzzling

well, that's not needle, that's pilot. the needle and main take over around 1/4 throttle, below that it's pilot and air jet/screw. if it ran good in the 1/4 and up area, then you need to look elsewhere. the clip pos. affects 1/8 to 1/4, but still not starting. you could lower the needle one spot and help some.

calchart.gif

Edited by sredish

well, that's not needle, that's pilot. the needle and main take over around 1/4 throttle, below that it's pilot and air jet/screw. if it ran good in the 1/4 and up area, then you need to look elsewhere.

calchart.gif

What i think was happening was having the wrong needle was effecting the pilot to since the single carbs are so dependent on the needle. I tried jets pilots from 40-52 and it was always the same story.

What i think was happening was having the wrong needle was effecting the pilot to since the single carbs are so dependent on the needle. I tried jets pilots from 40-52 and it was always the same story.

well, the EEK and DEK are the same except for the first letter which designates the taper. So, EEK and DEK are the same diameter and same length, just a steeper/richer taper on the EEK which you can see does nothing before 1/4. so, you may need to experiment with the diameter, maybe a DEJ or DEG.

Take a look at this keihin needle chart:

http://www.mxsouth.com/keihin/keihin-jets-...pe-pj-pwk_1.jpg

would it start better if you held the throttle open?

Edited by sredish

OK, I just ordered an EEK, EEJ and EEL along with mains 185-195 and should be here on monday. Hopefully my new single kit will be here then to. Gonna give it another shot and atleast if it dosent work this time i have good working duals that just need to my synched.

there you go. now just play and test and play. jetting is 100% trial and error.

Yea I know but its hard when I cant do it here! I live in an apt with no yard and where I do alot of riding you cant get outta 3rd gear and my other spot is out in the middle of nowhere! I need is someone close to albany that has some property or better know how!

Im not that good with carbs but i got a 2 into 1 also. Sheerider told me how to fix this so im going to take his advice and try the eek. I already have 185 main and 55 pilot so im gonna try a new needle and see what happens. I just dont want to buy 20 jetts till i figure it out if it come to be to bad ill send it out to get tuned. From what i have rode and felt in the difference of it i think ill like it alot. I have read here and other sites good and bad about it but u know its just like everything else one likes one dislikes its all in what u personally want or perfer. Jetting i have heard from everyone is a tottally b itch but once its running.............