timing plates

hello i have my bike set up for top end power, and was thinking about getting a timing plate. Can i adjust it to suit top end? or is it just bottom end thats with the +4 i guess?

Just adjust it and try different advance settings and see what suits you better. Different motors and different mods respond differently. Its a simple adjustment, just play around with it.

SP

You have to think about it in regards to TDC of the piston and when you are "telling" the ignition to fire. You also have to consider the RPM of the engine and the time it takes for the burn cycle to start and how long it takes to fully burn (fire). By advancing the timing, you are actually firing the cylinder just before the piston reaches top dead center and in theory the fuel/air mix is expanding at it's greatest rate just after TDC. Thus you really get the bottom end impact from the burn taking place when it has the most effect on the crankshaft rotation. By firing just before TDC you do limit some of the type end RPM potential of the engine as you are actually causes resistance to the piston as it approaches TDC. By retarding the timing you fire the cylinder after the piston reaches TDC, this does not have the resisting impact on the piston and helps to accelerate the piston later in the crankshaft rotation. This is what leads to your top end emphasis. Hopefully that overview helps out.