Blown o-ring

sleeper06

Just got #1 Banshee bike to my house after his glamis trip.He blew an o-ring do to heat on right cylinder,I beleive the heat was caused by running not enouph octane with 175 lbs of compression.I just tore head off and cleaned everything up cylinders look fine and head is not worped,domes not cracked. He changed the o-ring at glamis. Here is where it gets tricky it happened again at glamis after riding for a little this time the upper hose off head melted hole in it,same with hose off the front of head.He used Home depot hose for coolent and it just didnt hold up.Could this have been caused by lean jetting.The reason it concerned me is the fact that I sent the bike there running perfect on 192 mains 55 pilots. I got the bike back with 172mains 50 pilots.I live at sea level,glamis is sea level. Thirty degrees temp diffrence shouldnt of constituted such a drastic change in jetting or should it.I also dont know all the sequences of event from #1 banshee

Hey sleeper, His bike was breaking up since day one. It was idling perfect, while in neutral if you snap the throttle it was crisp with no bog at all.

It was breaking up 1/2-full throttle.

I was having the same prob with my shee, jetting was perfect till i got to glamis and then it started running like shit..

And on day 3 BOOOM.. :evil:

Anyway, were you guys running straight race gas before Glamis?

wouldnt 108 octane mixed 50/50 be boarder line @ 175 psi?

I think Greg mad to big of a jump with his jetting to really find his prob. 192-172 55-50

Where the hoses hitting the pipes?

At least nothing got messed up to0o bad.

He was running straight 110 when he left I also dont like to be on the border with anything. I ran two tanks of gas through motor with no problems at all .I just put new o-rings in the head one was garbage at base of dome.Just did a pressure test on motor both bas gaskets are leaking like a faucet now.The motor left me perfectly sealed up holding six lbs for six minutes with no leakidge.now wtf could he have worped the cylinders or just blew the gaskets out due to heat

would both base gaskets blow due to heat has anyone seen this before? would both base gaskets blow if detonating was accurring

obviously this thing got really hot,im gonna rip the cylinders off tommorow and deck everything up is there a chance the cylinders or cases warped.Has anyone ever had a cylinder worp.

Someone has to have had this happen, how far do I go with taredown,does anyone think mainbearings are cooked??????????

would both base gaskets blow due to heat has anyone seen this before? would both base gaskets blow if detonating was accurring

obviously this thing got really hot,im gonna rip the cylinders off tommorow and deck everything up is there a chance the cylinders or cases warped.Has anyone ever had a cylinder worp.

Someone has to have had this happen, how far do I go with taredown,does anyone think mainbearings are cooked??????????

Not knowing your comp ratio, it sounds more like you just have an over heat issue. Over heat will cause detonation and that is what took our your O-ring. More than likely fix the cooling problem, you will fix the o-ring issue as well. Impeller to start. Keep in mind too that a banshee has no cooling fan so too much HP, too much throttle when your not moving fast enough to get good air flow across the heat exchanger will cause over heat too.

Brandon

To add to this, Greg didnt even ride the bike for more than 15-20 mins at a time.

Also his spark plugs where backing themselves out.

He realized this when he went to examine his plugs and was able to take them out by hand.

He is 100% positive that he tightened them.

So what would cause his plugs to back out?????

When I 1st got there i rode it for like wackoo said 20 mins at a time but was running ok with the jets lil fat so i switched out the jets felt better... I was down on gas so I added a half mix then we went on the ride... that was 15 mins not even into the ride then everything started to happen with the orings and the plugs were backed out... I waited till chad got there we switched out orings jetted and we rode it and beat on it... I was trying to make it up a steep hill and then the orings popped again and the coolant started to come out the overflow like a spicket... We kept putting water in it till i got back to camp we ran out of water and the hose from the cool head to the over flow just popped and that was it..stoped cut it off and put it back on then did it again within 2 mins from camp so i rode it to camp parked it and that was it... all the water pipes were fucked b/c it was ran hot without coolant but i stopped let it cool off and then went back to riding to get back to camp..

detonation causes plugs to back out, detonation causes heat from firing speratically,its a brand new impellar,engine ice was in it,two tanks of gas engine didnt come above 140deg,I agree his new horsepower might be a little much for a new banshee owner.I couldnt see the shee getting that hot,in that short of time unless it was detonating,the only thing diffrent was octane at first ride.

Wacko 2000 how did you come up with 108 octane,was anyone running his compression and that gas

I put the 172/50 in that bike, and it ran good afterwords. To be honest about this situation I think it might have something to do with his bore being a 66mm and the o rings right on the edge of the cylinder. It was the right o ring that blew the first time. And now its the right o ring that blew again. Reguardless of how hot that motor got, the base gasket should of never started leaking. Maybe the leak was causing it to run lean on that one side.

I know you are sea level also, but i guess with the humidity and temp change the jetting over here is much different. I tihnk you guys need to look into the timing a little more.

Trust me I wouldn't have made his bike lean, I wanted it to last the whole trip for him.

Im not saying you made it lean or not,the bike pressure tested perfect with no leaks,the base gaskets didnt leak.I dont know what transpired. The base gaskets can most certanly leak if its hot enouph,the bike got to my house everything was loose,base bolts.Studs stretch under heat.You might be rite about 66mm bore but why wuoldnt jeff from fast know that when we ordered domes and everything else. Ill check tommorow on the domes with jeff and timing is still at +5 didnt move.Ill let U know how it looks

detonation causes plugs to back out, detonation causes heat from firing speratically,its a brand new impellar,engine ice was in it,two tanks of gas engine didnt come above 140deg,I agree his new horsepower might be a little much for a new banshee owner.I couldnt see the shee getting that hot,in that short of time unless it was detonating,the only thing diffrent was octane at first ride.

Wacko 2000 how did you come up with 108 octane,was anyone running his compression and that gas

I dont really know to much about this stuff, with the bore, detonation etc..

Im just trying to help you and greg figure out whats going on with his bike.

The race gas that we where using is C12, they said that it was 108octane.