2.36 primary gear hitting water pump gear!

lt1bird

2.36 primary gear hitting water pump gear! Looks like I would need a diffrent gear for the waterpump.... The White pump gear hits my primary gear.... Anyone make a billet gear with a smaller shaft section? What a pain in the ***...... If I knew the 2.36 primary was not a bolt in i would have gone smaller....... anyone know a easy fix??

Thanks

I took a good look at it......Looks like the white gear will need to be machines down on the shoulder....about .06"

also need to machine the case a tad so the primary gear does not hit the case....its only a smidge...... also need to trim the side cover a bit as the big stiffener inside hits the gear a bit.....Also a new washer at the end of the water pump shaft. The stock large washer will hit the gear. The washer will be moved to the other side of the circlip up against the engne case as a spacer to keep the plastic water pump gear in the correct location. I guess It cant be billet......beacuse the primary gear would eat that up ;)

Anyone have this issue before beacuse of the larger diameter primary gear?

I'd be giving Rob a call and talking to him about it.

If they are straight cuts in the overide ratio, i ran into a similar problem, I had to take the E-clip off water pump and swap the washer for a smaller one the size of the clip, i had first thought it was hitting alot of other stuff but turned uot to be nothing, try removing it and spinning the motor

Exactly! I am turing down the plastic gear a bit....Remove the big washer....Put a little one in front of the e-clip so the eclip will not get caught in the hole.....Going to make sure the alignment is good on the gears.... I bet your running a smaller gear than the 2.36....if it were a bit smaller I would not have to relieve the case or turn down the water pump gear.... Oh well....

Exactly! I am turing down the plastic gear a bit....Remove the big washer....Put a little one in front of the e-clip so the eclip will not get caught in the hole.....Going to make sure the alignment is good on the gears.... I bet your running a smaller gear than the 2.36....if it were a bit smaller I would not have to relieve the case or turn down the water pump gear.... Oh well....

You Shouldnt have to fox with any of the gears just the washer hits, I have 2-cubs and a stock cyl bike all with overides allwith stock cluth cover nothing was an issue except the washer, your pump gear might look like its hitting but i duobt it

The 2.36 streight cut gears are larger than the stock ones..... beacuse its a bit larger it hits the water pump gear collar.....I turned it down so the gears will now clear. my buddy gave me the "Oh ya..... forgot you needed to do that" line.....LOL.... He built the same engine....

Thanks!

The 2.36 streight cut gears are larger than the stock ones..... beacuse its a bit larger it hits the water pump gear collar.....I turned it down so the gears will now clear. my buddy gave me the "Oh ya..... forgot you needed to do that" line.....LOL.... He built the same engine....

Thanks!

No prob just saying i have the same gears and didnt have such problems good luck