Gearing question

mechaniac

Hello All..

Well I wore out the front sprocket on my 87. seems the sprocket set is different and specific for the 87-88 models. Fine.. So I ordered a 13T anda new chain as the rear sprocket looked perfect and I assummed was stock.. But, it;s not.. The rear is a 41 tooth designed for running with a 14T front sprocket. You all probably know all this already...sorry... Anyway what I want to know is can I run the 13T and the 41T together with a stock 104 chain? I just got the parts and wanted to ride this weekend. Shoulda ordered a rear sprocket too....Didnt really save anything over a full sprocket chain kit. Maybe I can contact the supplier and have him send me the correct sprocket that I can put on later.... Main thing is I dont want to cut my new chain. I bet there is THAT much adjustment in the chain...

Thanks to all for your help...

Eric

Midland, Texas

87 shee

i run 13-41 now and had to knock a link out ,my chain was used though and already stretched a little bit, thats the problem with the chain adjustment on these bikes, it might be too loose on yours with 13-41 and 104 link -, but then if you knock a link out and move the adjusters back forward, it might be too tight and u might have to remove your lower chain roller to get it to fit, this is the problem lots of people run into with the banshee chain adjustment, i have 13-41 and 103 link chain, it was a bit tight at first but has stretched a little since and is fine now, the amount of chain adjustment is fuckin horrible on the stock rearend no way around it

Edited by Michael Jackson

That otta work fine, Im pretty sure I had 13/40 with 104 link stock size.

Like MJ said you could take one link out, and it could fuck you!

I think thats what I did on mine when I still had stock swinger, ended up to short and had to put 2nd master link in.