acer aspire 3640

1996dragshee

So my girl has this laptop and probably got a virus from limewire burning cds.Anyways,it had vista when she bought it..used,and it just stopped working one day,wouldnt boot up past administrator or safe mode,keyboard wouldn't work...nothing.So a buddy of mine put xp on it but he didn't know his buddy messed up his xp disc so it was missing a file or two,One was the touchpad mouse..

My problem is is that the mouse pad and usb ports dont work now but it boots up to the xp screen fast as all hell now..way faster than that vista garbage..Can this laptop only run an oem acer xp or something or could the problem be because the disc wasn't a full copy?Or could the hard drive just be royally fucked?

He downloaded a touchpad mouse driver onto a disc and loaded it onto the acer but it did nothing...I'm lost and she's buying a desktop now and wants to sell this thing but i figure if i can get it working properly,the more money she can get for it obviously..any opinions fellas?

Get a different XP CD. It will come with generic USB and touchpad drivers that will work.

I've literally loaded up hundreds of laptops with XP and 2000 over the past several years.

Everyone either let touch pad, USB or both work by default....

Here's your touchpad driver. But if the XP install is botched, good chance even the correct driver is not gonna help.

First thing I'd do is go to memtest86.com and download an .iso, burn the image to a CD and test memory...then get the hard drive manufacturer's support/diagnostic .iso....and run that. If the HDD and RAM come back clean, it's a botched XP install.

Here's that driver. It's possible your buddy installed the Vista driver...

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...s=&areaid=2

Welcome to my world buddy....just because you don't have the recovery or driver disks...doesn't mean you can't go right to the manufacturer and download the correct ones.

When I do a new build, I always go to the manufacturer's site for the latest driver.

Edited by dajogejr