Simple "How To" replace your Silencer packing

Hey guys,

Thought I would take pictures along the way of re-packing my silencers for others to see how its done. I have done it a couple times and pretty happy at the end. Heres quick step-by-step of how do do it :thumbsup: !

I would highly recommened using gloves when handling packing, You'll itch like crazy if you dont!

Start by removing the 3 bolts located at the back of your silencer. Some pipes may have more or less bolts.

3boltsmw7.th.jpg

Next, carefully pull out the silencer core. This should be pretty easy to pull out. If its stuck and wont budge, a couple taps of a hammer on the hanger will loosen it.

metalincertdi6.th.jpg

(This step is optional) Remove the silencer end cap. This will make it alot easier to remove the packing. Drill out the two riviots on the end. Using something long, gentally tap the inside of the cap till it pops out.

endcapnk1.th.jpg

Once the cap is off you'll notice the baffle inside the cap. Remove it and clean out the cap and baffle. Once both cap and baffle are clean replace the baffle back in to end cap with exhaust sealer. Dont forget the sealer or you'll have leaks!

baffleandendcaplw0.th.jpg

sealendcapandbafflejn8.th.jpg

Now remove all the old, burt up packing. With the end cap off you can push it through with a screw driver or a piece of wood. If you dont remove the cap you will have to pull it all out from the open end.

oldpackingky2.th.jpg

cleansilencerzr3.th.jpg

Once that is done, put the end cap back on with some more sealer around the outside. Slide it in and replace the riviots.

Next lay out your new packing. Place the silencer core across the packing. Cut about 1inch to 1 1/2 more on the outlet end. This extra will go into the collar on end of the pipe and cap.

packingcuttinkd6.th.jpg

Next roll the packing around the silencer core and finish with a couple pieces of masking tape. This will hold it onto the silencer core and make it easier to put back in.

maskingtapezz4.th.jpg

Finally slide the silencer core with new packing back into the silencer and your DONE! I always stuff pieces of packing into the silencer while I'm incerting the core back in. Just to be sure it has enough packing and its nice and tight. Put the 3 bolts back into the silencer.

doneyi3.th.jpg

Now your ready to put your newly packed pipes on your quad and hit the trails :thumbsup: !

• 4 weeks later...
What exactly is the purpose of the silencer packing? Does it effect performance or is it just to reduce dB?

SP

Well 1st of all it will quiet your bike down so it's not so zingy sounding.. :biggrin: And I also read somewhere that worn out packing or no packing will cause a sufficient reduction in power because of no back pressure...Somethin along those lines..Anyways JUST DO IT..It will sound better which was a +9999999999 for me..haha