Severe Bad Gas Carb Cleaning

regalrocket

I recently bought a 03. The original carbs had stripped out idle screws (removed tors) so I purchased another set of stockers off a friend of mine. They are in good shape externally, but inside the carbs had bad gas sit in them and make crystalized gunk. I have the carbs totally stripped for a rebuild kit. I am concerned that passageways could be plugged with this junk. In days past I used the 1 gallon carb dip bucket. Now due to greenies, the stuff is 80 bucks a bucket. I am looking for alternatives to that stuff. I need HD cleaner. Thanks.

A tip cleaner for an acetylene torch works great. Lots of different size wires to pick from, in one tool.

The torch cleaner was a good idea, used that. I also got crazy and used easy-off. I had an old carb to try it on to make sure it wouldn't turn the aluminum black (happens sometimes, especially to anodized and clear anodized parts). After 2 treatments that included a 20 minute soak, then a hot fresh water rinse and scrubbing, these look GREAT!!. I know some will dispute it, but it works. Just a little 411 on that stuff.

The torch cleaner was a good idea, used that. I also got crazy and used easy-off. I had an old carb to try it on to make sure it wouldn't turn the aluminum black (happens sometimes, especially to anodized and clear anodized parts). After 2 treatments that included a 20 minute soak, then a hot fresh water rinse and scrubbing, these look GREAT!!. I know some will dispute it, but it works. Just a little 411 on that stuff.

spray with penatratng blaster first, then go to town with the other stuff