No spark

Stoovy

Hey folks,

New to the forum.  I just decided to get my 1990 banshee running again.  Last time it was ridden was around 2010.  Went through the carbs, cleaned the tank and gave it some fresh fuel.  Turned on the key kicked it 3 times and it fired right up...let idle for a minute or so and then turned it off at the key.  Couple minutes later tried to fire it up again and now i have no spark.  

Thoughts on what could cause me to lose spark...the only thing i did between firing it up and losing spark was shut off the key.  I have bypassed the key in thoughts maybe there was an issue there, but no luck.  No parking brake, no tors.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Have you figured it out? Last time we worked on a bike which been sitting for 7 years, it needed some cleaning for wire contacts, especially on the battery, ground and sparkplug which resolved the idling and starting issues.

Edited by McGrawz

McGrawz, thanks for the reply

Not yet... new plugs ....took apart and cleaned kill switch/headlight switch and all seemed fine.  Stator resistivity tests fine on lighting circuit and ignition circuit.....ignition coil wires test fine....plug caps test fine...trimmed coil wires where they screw into the boots.  I have two banshees and tried both coils...each of which tested around .4-.6 ohms.  I know that is on the high side of the resistivity, but am hopeful it is close enough.  From what ive read, coil failures are rare.

The kill switch wiring is integrated in the same plug as the headlights so i dont actually know how to bypass it completely... but as i said everything inside the switch looked good.  Im going to check continuity all over the harness and see if i can find a short...or ground issue as you mentioned above.

If anybody has any other tips, I'm all ears 

Thanks