New Guy

SLORYDER

Hello.

Tomorrow I am purchasing an 89 banshee with a 520 cheetah powervalve motor. It is not set up for drag racing, just general duning, but the primary goal for the buying the bike is to build a dragger. It currently has the following mods that I know of: 520 Cheetah powervalve on 50/50 mix (10mm) with midrange port job, Trinity Racing stage IV pipes, Vforce(2?) reeds, 34mm carbs, heavy duty crank and tranny bearings, plus 8 swingarm, 11 paddle triple buffs, not sure what else. He says the bike dynoed at 94 RWHP. What mods can be done to this thing to make it more competive in the sand drags, and what kind of power gains can I expect? Trying to get this thing ready ASAP. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanxx, Marcus

Get rid of the Trinity pipes and get a set of BB out of frame drag pipes. Get some v force 3's the 2's are outdated and not as good as the 3's. 34mm carbs seem small for that bike too get some bigger ones, i'm sure it already has a cool head on it with some big domes. Lockup cover and clutch, straight cut gears, override trans the list goes on and on and your definitly looking at some money.

Get rid of the Trinity pipes and get a set of BB out of frame drag pipes. Get some v force 3's the 2's are outdated and not as good as the 3's. 34mm carbs seem small for that bike too get some bigger ones, i'm sure it already has a cool head on it with some big domes. Lockup cover and clutch, straight cut gears, override trans the list goes on and on and your definitly looking at some money.

So what gains do you think I can get out of 40mm carbs, reeds, and bb pipes? Do I have to use an override transmission? Not concerned about money.

Edited by SLORYDER

So what gains do you think I can get out of 40mm carbs, reeds, and bb pipes? Do I have to use an override transmission? Not concerned about money.

do you know exactically what you have and the exact internals in that cheeta?

if you dont, i'd find out before you go spending money. drag bikes arent cheap.

you would definately benefit from some different pipes and bigger carbs.

As mentioned, bigger carbs and some BB outframe pipes would help you more than anything, assuming you have an override tranny. Without an override, it would be difficult to drag race that beast. Don't forget about bigger intakes when you upgrade the carbs.

i would go with 39 PWKs and out of frame pipes 11 paddles seamed a little light to me.

Yeah I picked it up this morning 10mm stroker/ I think 72.5mm bore...521 kit, seen all the receipts. It does not have an override tranny, but does have a 9 plate clutch setup...the guy says they work better than a lockup for recreational riding. It is definately a sleeper...J arm front end.. arent they lighter than A-arms? This dude is definately all go little show..I think I kind of like it like that tho. What kind of gains will I see by converting to methanol and can you ride all day as normal on alky?

Yeah I picked it up this morning 10mm stroker/ I think 72.5mm bore...521 kit, seen all the receipts. It does not have an override tranny, but does have a 9 plate clutch setup...the guy says they work better than a lockup for recreational riding. It is definately a sleeper...J arm front end.. arent they lighter than A-arms? This dude is definately all go little show..I think I kind of like it like that tho. What kind of gains will I see by converting to methanol and can you ride all day as normal on alky?

if you ride in socal glamis and dummont i say the way it is now you might go about 65 miles an hour up the hill.......but i have seen full blown drag 10 mil cheethas go in the mid 80's both at glamis and dummont.......so your talking about an easy 8 bike leinghts.....good luck hope that helps

Get some v force 3's the 2's are outdated and not as good as the 3's.

thats not true on the vforces, the 2s actually make more horse on the dyno but the 3s are a lil more reliable and the screws wont have a chance of falling out on the pedals as they might and have on the 2s,I would go with 41mm carbs,big bore shearer pipes,plus12 arm and Id start with a 12 paddle tire with about a 73 inch rollout,maybe a lil bigger rollout or more paddle if needed

Edited by 2bzy2p

Thanxx y'all.

I took it out for a ride today for the first time ( paddles on had to ride in grass) and i noticed it is tuned for midrange. Does not pull out as far on top as my ported 350 with pro circuits. The powerband is like a four stroke turbo, but just does not have a real high rev out. Even if i am parked in neutral and mash the gas, itwill not rev real high. Maybe its the long stroke? Trinity IV's? Porting? Dunno. Doesn't seem like the ideal setup for drag racing, but would be SO much fun in some wide open dunes like killpecker.. :biggrin:

thats not true on the vforces, the 2s actually make more horse on the dyno but the 3s are a lil more reliable and the screws wont have a chance of falling out on the pedals as they might and have on the 2s,I would go with 41mm carbs,big bore shearer pipes,plus12 arm and Id start with a 12 paddle tire with about a 73 inch rollout,maybe a lil bigger rollout or more paddle if needed

Hmm i didn't know that thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Lockup clutch, dunable override, bigger carbs (41mm Keihin or 44mm Lectrons), alky, and bigger, better out of frame pipes.

You could probably get another 30 HP out of that motor without even breaking a sweat. That motor should be around 130 on methanol, even without porting.

I have 10 mil 520 on Alky dragger I use 39PWK with Bilet bowls, A&S Full drag port , Shearer out frame pipes, It makes 135 hp on dyno. its quite a handfull. & I would defenately get overide tranny if your going to drag it.. just my opinion..

Shovel...you use the snomo pumper carbs that Dan always uses?

Shovel...you use the snomo pumper carbs that Dan always uses?

hey Dave, Honestly I don't know? I bought this bike a few months ago still fine tuning a few things. How could I tell?

They were set up by Dan & they have Boss billet bowls from him as well? do you know how I can tell just by looking?

I would like to know myself...