ALCOHOL CONVERSION

2StRokEinSanItY

hello everyone, i just picked up another 2003 banshee, this one is stock and im looking to do some drag racing with it....i want to convert to alcohol, can i do that on a stock motor or will i have to work my way up to that.....all advice welcome thanks!

You can do it on a stock motor, however....to take advantage of Alky, you really should:

Get it ported

Bigger carbs to flow more fuel

Free flowing exhaust

More timing

More compression

Good idea/insurance to have the crank trued and welded for reliability...

Just simply drilling out carbs to put on a stock motor probably won't be worth it....

ok that makes sense, but after doing all of that how would i go about converting it, what are the steps? do they sell kits? any good websites?

First you have to choose your carb type.

Kehins can not be converted back to gas once you drill them out for alky.

Mikunis and Lectrons can be.

Lectrons are the most expensive...but they are WELL worth it IMO.

You drill the main jets out, depending on your elevation, temps, etc...

Drill the dump tubes out, put bigger pilots in, and tap the carb bowl for a power jet (externally adjustable jet which sprays additional fuel into the carb)

Plenty of people can do it. However, keep this in mind, like anything... A builder can get you close on your alky setup, it is up to you for the final fine tuning. And with methanol, you want to start out PIG Fat and work your way down. It's a great power gain, however....plan on going through one top end if you're lucky....a few more parts/labor if you're not so lucky...:)

Bottom line is you need to flow twice as much methanol to your engine as you did gas....