Regulator

I want to add a battery to my Banshee, now I was told that I need to have an other Regulator to do so. I was about to buy the TrailTech one that they sell, now I have a Stock Honda 450R Regulator siting at home. Could the Honda 450R Regulator do the same thing?

I want to add a battery to my Banshee, now I was told that I need to have an other Regulator to do so. I was about to buy the TrailTech one that they sell, now I have a Stock Honda 450R Regulator siting at home. Could the Honda 450R Regulator do the same thing?

Yep

Brandon

OH, as long as it has four wires indicating it also has a rectifier in it.

Edited by blowit

It needs to be a single phase, full wave regulator rectifier (zero loss snowmobile unit from Wisconsin). I have one for sale if your interested pm me. I also have a battery and mount for the banshee for sale. Basically the battery mount works on the bike if you run a pod filter and not an airbox anymore.

I think the 450R one has 5 wires, is it possible?

External floated ground. Yeah, get a digraph of the wiring. Super simple. Will work just fine. You will also want a diode in the pos line from the charge coil to battery so back voltage is not a problem. It can drain your battery depending on how you wire it. The diode is a fail safe but I would consider it mandatory.

B

External floated ground. Yeah, get a digraph of the wiring. Super simple. Will work just fine. You will also want a diode in the pos line from the charge coil to battery so back voltage is not a problem. It can drain your battery depending on how you wire it. The diode is a fail safe but I would consider it mandatory.

B

The reg/rec should already be dioded, thats how it converts ac to dc. There is no need to install another diode, beside, it would create a .7 volt drop in the charge line. Thats assuming this rectifier will work.

Edited by Snopczynski

The reg/rec should already be dioded, thats how it converts ac to dc. There is no need to install another diode, beside, it would create a .7 volt drop in the charge line. Thats assuming this rectifier will work.

Some rectifiers use an energized diode system that consumes power as it sits. Some OEMs install them and a diode IS required in the system to reduce draw. What you have to remember is that is before power regulation so a .7V drop will not affect for final target DC value, This is very common in alternators in the auto industry.

Brandon

This is assuming you stay above your drop out voltage of the regulator. Most alternators will make about 20VAC or more at idle so those are safe numbers when working with a 12VDC reg/rect.

Edited by blowit

Never seen a bike with a properly functioning reg/rectifier that consumes voltage from a battery.

Yeah, so adding a diode to the banshee which does not have one will result in a .7v drop. Not to mention, if your way is so easy to do, then how come none of the manufacturers, or aftermarkets do it, or talk about it. The reg/rec setup with a battery is industry standard stuff through RS, Trail tech, and most of the aftermarket starter companies for snowmobiles like Goki.

Auto alternators are 3 phase, with 3 zener diodes in the housing to rectify out dc voltage.

Never seen a bike with a properly functioning reg/rectifier that consumes voltage from a battery.

Yeah, so adding a diode to the banshee which does not have one will result in a .7v drop. Not to mention, if your way is so easy to do, then how come none of the manufacturers, or aftermarkets do it, or talk about it. The reg/rec setup with a battery is industry standard stuff through RS, Trail tech, and most of the aftermarket starter companies for snowmobiles like Goki.

Auto alternators are 3 phase, with 3 zener diodes in the housing to rectify out dc voltage.

You win, You are smarter. I should give me degree to you.

Brandon