Hotter plugs for Pismo?

This has probably been covered before, but I'm too lazy to read dozens of unrelated threads.

Just got back from Pismo last night. Had so much fun I can't wait to go back!

Situation: My friend and I have basically stock, piped and jetted Banshees that run great here in the Central Valley of California. We're barely above sea level here (10-1000 ft. where we usually ride). First time with these machines at Pismo. He's running Blendzall, I'm using Bel-Ray Si-7. After about 30 minutes of riding on the beach and dunes, his 'Shee started crapping out. The NGK B8 plugs were seriously fouled, so we put in a set of B6 I had in my toolbox. The thing ran great the rest of the weekend.

About 15 minutes later, mine started running like sh*t!! Pulled the plugs and they were dripping with fuel. We had to run out to Angelo's and get some more plugs. I bought B7, put 'em in and the 'Shee absolutely ripped for the next two days. Still got the grin on my face to prove it.

Is it normal to have to run hotter plugs at Pismo?

This has probably been covered before, but I'm too lazy to read dozens of unrelated threads.

About 15 minutes later, mine started running like sh*t!! Pulled the plugs and they were dripping with fuel. We had to run out to Angelo's and get some more plugs. I bought B7, put 'em in and the 'Shee absolutely ripped for the next two days. Still got the grin on my face to prove it.

Is it normal to have to run hotter plugs at Pismo?

476417[/snapback]

The first question that comes to mind if the elevations are about the same, what is the temperature difference. Is it a decent amount warmer at Pismo (sorry from Oregon so don't know)? If it is warmer, or also more humid, it could cause your bike to be fat (rich), leading to the fouled plugs. Now, by running hotter plugs more heat is obviously retained in the plug, so fuel buildup is reduced and fouling is resisted. However, you increase your chances for PING (pre-ignition) by running the hotter plug. If the answer to the first couple questions is yes, really what you should do is jet down, as opposed to running a hotter plug.

The temperature was about the same, but it was definitely more humid than we normally get in the valley, especially with the rain in the Pismo area this weekend. You probably diagnosed the situation correctly.

Didn't notice any detonation at all, but we were running 100 octane fuel, which would help that.

As long as there is no detonation, any chance of burning a piston with the B7s? We're both pretty conservative riders, no drag racing or long WOT stuff. I try to wind it up a little every few seconds, just to keep it running clean and not loading up the plugs.

Finally got around to cleaning the 'Shee this past weekend. Took it up and down the street a couple of times to dry everything. Ran like crap with the B7's in it. Definitely detonating from the hotter plugs.

Put the B8's back in and it ran great.

I'm probably running a little rich. I'll do a real plug check next time I get a chance.

Thanks for your help.