Clutch Adjustment problems

I installed my Tusk clutch kit and went to adjust it this weekend and ran into a few problems.

The arrow on the cases doesn't want to line up

When I kick the bike over with it in gear and the clutch pulled it wants to lunge forward

Holding the clutch and rolling the bike is tough because it feels half engaged

Can anyone give me a good way to get the clutch dialed in correctly!

btw---I have a magnum easy pull / brand new clutch cable

I don't remember if you don't line up the pressure plate properly if you get no clutch engagement, or no clutch disengagement. Now, is the ball and rod in tact, seperated, and inside the input shaft? And the arrow adjustment should have been done before you put the side case back on. If you still have the cover off, the adjuster is located in the center of the pressure plate. This is how you line up the arrows. Loosen the locknut, and adjust the center post.

Just went through this.

This is a dumb question, but you did throw out the rubber o-ring cushions that come stock, right? Tusk Clutch? Lucky you...I looked for over a month while RMATV was Out of Stock.

I made the right choice, though...got a homemade street bike setup from F.A.S.T. Racing...me very happy.

Ok...here goes. Tighten down three of the 6 Clutch Springs to get this adjusted right.

Loosen the locknut on the pushrod shaft.

With your hand, push the clutch arm and the arrow on the case and the arm should line up.

If you can't get it perfect, the arm should be a HAIR to the outside...or, towards you as you're looking at it.

When you get it lined up...tighten it down and check again. Before you go through all that...though. take time to clean the rod and ball bearing, an put a dab or two of grease on 'em.

Be sure your clutch basket and pressue plate are up to snuff. Was your basket all grooved up on the fingers? No adjustment is going to solve the lurching...

Check for wear...

So...pretty much everything Boonman said...with an extra tip or two...

:cheers:

Edited by dajogejr

I have no O-rings between the plates/fibers...

With my side cover off I can watch the pressure plate go in and out with the clutch pull. It is disengaging and engaging, but still lurching..

So basically just get the arrows lined up and let it wear in?

btw---my basket had some grooves and I filed them down to smooth