wa-happen?

`Right before the thanksgiving weekend i installed the twist throttle, it ran fine during the first couple of hours but then fri night at glamis while heading out to oldsmobile the bike bogged down and turned off a couple of times, the only way it would turn back on would be if i pulled the choke (the bike had been running fine earlier) so i decided to head back to camp, but a while earlier it felt weird too,

I had to borrow my brothers banshee so we could continue the action that night,

so on saturday i tried to see if it turned off on me again it turned on fine , i warmed it up , and i took it for a test drive it was cool, but after 5 minutes it did the same thing, i was dissapointed,cuz i had to borrow my brothers bike the rest of our trip, we didnt want to spent the whole day fixing it, we had enough bikes to still have fun,Being busy and not having time to fix it i left it alone , and we went to mexico christmas week, i went prepared with tools and everything to fix it, not knowing exactly what it was my bro told me to clean out the carbs, so i did, i also added new plugs.

i found dirt and other little things in there, so i cleaned it out every litte hole and jet.

i put it back together and tried it out in buttercup, its like 45 from where i was at.

I turned it on hoping the problems would be over with, i warmed it up for a while then took off

it ran like if it was cold, even after a long time i rode it, but it didnt turn off anymore,but at low rpms it ran like shit ,

But once i pulled out to full throttle it felt fine, :( but once i went back down to low rpms it felt cold, long after i had been using it,

WHAT COULD IT BE??? :confused:

im thinking it could be the reeds

im running

-fmf fatty with turbine core 2's

-k&n filter w/ outerwear and airbox vents

-jetkit, boost bottle

if it is the reeds are the delta v-force reeds a good investment???

any h-p gains or performance, also to run these reeds what other mods' would i have to do???

thanks for your help

In my, and my other's, opinions, the Delta 2 is the best reed system on the market. Some say you won't get the full benefit of them without porting, and that might be true, but you'll get as much out of them on a stock or stock-piped motor as you will with any other reed system, and they'll outperform the others with more flow.

We haven't heard much on the Delta 3's. You could search for Vforce and come up with a lot and this was recently discussed in the Product Review area.

As far as your problem, it's definitely not a bad idea to check you reeds, they could be causing you to bog out at those rpms. It would've been easy to check when you pulled your carbs, but you'll have to do it again and take a peek.

Let us know what you find.

I believe the only difference between the V-Force 2's and 3's are the bolts used to keep it together, I guess the 2's had problems with them coming out and causing damage. So they eliminated the need for them on the inside part...so basically I think the 3's would be worth it, considering that the price has been dropped from 250 to 216.

I've heard nothing but good things about the V-Force reeds, except from people who run Boyeson or some other brand who want their stuff to be the best. I have never ridden anything with V-Force in it but I plan on getting them for my Banshee sometime soon, considering that I got bigger carbs and porting now so I'm sure it'd really wake it up. From what I hear, keyword: hear, it really wakes up your engine...especially with porting.

Edited by Flyin_Shee

Did you sync your carbs after cleaning them? Out of sync carbs will be most noticeable at idle-1/4.

Reeds-wise the vforces are nice, got my set in the mail right now. From what I could tell from the RMATV catalog the 3's uses all the same petals whereas the 2's have 2 different petals. My guess is this had more to do with manufacturing costs than performance. So go with whatever is cheaper.

You could be rich or lean (unsure by the sound of it) on your needle setting. Slap some new plugs in it and do a plug check at half throttle ONLY, 1-6 gears for a couple minutes. Take them out and do a reading.

You could also put the choke on at half throttle to see if it runs better. This will help tell if your rich or lean (just in case you are lean) it should run better with the choke engaged if you are lean. Adjust the clip on the needle, if it is rich move the clip up 1 notch (this lowers the needle). If it is lean move the clip down 1 notch toward the pointed end of the needle ( raises the needle). It's possible you may have ran into a lean condition since you needed to use the choke on a warm engine. The temperature or altitude from when it was originally tuned to where you were riding may have changed enough to manifest this condition. Higher altitudes and warmer temps will cause a rich condition. As lower altitude and lower temps can cause a lean condition.

Bad reeds will cause poor low speed/off idle performance.If its just one side,you can usually tell when you blip the throttle at idle.When the engine reaches a certain rpm,the side that wasn't firing usually kicks in.The throttle response at low rpms is bad,but it runs fine at 1/2 throttle and up.

I pulled my hair out last year trying to figure out what was causing my shee to act like this.After numerous R&R of he carbs,I decided to check the reeds.They never crossed my mind since they were V-force and less than a year old.Turns out the reeds were toast on one cylinder.I was amazed at the difference new reed petals made,the bog was gone.

I run V-force in my 01' and Boysen in my 87'.Personally I like the v-force much better.They really let you lug the motor without having to "fan" the clutch.In certain situations like tight hillclimbs,they have saved my ass and carried my shee over the top.