Got Ran Out Of Little Sahara By A Tornado

well we got to little sahara thursday night about 5, by the time we unpacked it was like around 7 so were like hell lets go ride,,first time ever hitting that big of dunes, right out of the gate, hit the biggest dune in the park..let me tell ya..it was kinda intimadating but it was bad ass..rode till about 10..got drunk..fell asleep..friday rode all day..did some serious drag racing..friday night broke a clutch cable..sat morning fixed the clutch cable, and thats when like all hell broke lose, the wind picked up..they say it was about 50 mph winds, and we couldnt even ride, the bikes were running like shit, cause of the head wind, and the blowing sand, and it just sucked..so were like well lets go back to the camp sight and ride it out..well we get back and the little pavilon tent we had put up, blew over on to my car scratchin the shit out of it..so by now im pissed off as all hell..so there we are standing there with no shade..and the wind picks up even more..so now theres tents flying all over the place..so were like this blows..so we go to check if any hotels are open..well thats a no go..they are all full..so we all pack up..thinking well we will drive to town to get a hotel..well in the 4 minutes it took for me to take a shower, the sky turned so dark it was almost night, the wall cloud was massive..so were like lets get the hell out of here..as we are pullin into Enid we hear on the radio that a tornado touched down in Wynoka, where little sahara is located..im so glad we got the hell out of there..so needless to say we drove 9 hours to ride 1 day..but im telling ya now..we are going back for sure..had a blast for that 1 day..

yeah i was watching the weather here in ks and they show alva and waynoka.

big red dot around it. i was like god im glad im not there there would be no where to hide.

glad you didnt get hurt

i would but its like a 10 hour drive

Yea it's 12 hrs. for me, but it's worth it. When we were there we had one of those little storms blow through. It did just like you described except the winds were 80-100mph. The sky was black as night and it started hailing tennis ball size hail. We were the only ones left in the camp grounds because we were staying the week after the memorial day weekend. I think it was Tues. or Weds. The only thing that saved us was the fact that we were renting the biggest pavillion in the camp ground. We had everything tied down or inside the tents under the pavillion. It's was pretty massive, but we're used to bad storms anyway. We partied on. Later that evening after it had passed, the park ranger came to check on us and was amazed at how well we had survived and how we didn't seem to be phased at all. She told us that 5 tornadoes had just circled around Waynoka. We stayed 2 more days and was sick of the place after 5 days of riding and fightin the wind. We haven't been back since, but we were trying to get it together for this weekend, but it just didn't happen :( .