Base Gaskets.

rkooienga

I just did a rebuild of a banshee for the first time. I fired it up and it worked great for about ten seconds. Then it mis-fired I think and then the left cylinder started smoking a lot more. I noticed that it seemed a little white, and it smelled sweet so i'm thinking coolant leak into the cylinder.

Both of the base gaskets I got were identical. Both seemed to be right cylinder gaskets with the silicon on the same side, so the right cylinder had the silicon facing up and the other down. Not sure if I should get a new gasket or if The bottom ends weren't cleaned to perfection enough.

My first question is, if the base gasket is upside down would coolant leak through there or no. 

My second question is what are other theories of what it could be it was smoking twice as hard and mis-firing.

only reason coolant would leak into the chamber is either from A. the water jacket plugs not being installed properly on the bottoms of the cylinders, or B.  into the chamber VIA the domes o rings (if you have a cool head or head with int. domes) or you got a cheap crap head gasket. 

did you pressure test motor after rebuild to see if there were any air leaks? 

1 minute ago, Ayesully810 said:

or you got a cheap crap head gasket. 

did you pressure test motor after rebuild to see if there were any air leaks?

I used a tusk gasket kit. Maybe there no good. I am going to pull the cylinder off tonight to check the water jacket plugs but it really smelled sweet not like it smelled before the build. I am running a stock head So no o-rings for it to leak there.

I don't know how to do a leak down test on the cylinders this is my first build. 

But I don't think there is anyway it leaked through the cylinder head but ill do a lap and hit all the bolts with a torque wrench tonight to make sure i didnt miss any. I have only ran it once. 

I also just painted my pipes so maybe its some of the paint on the inside of the pipe evaporating and the spark plugs are junk. I will checked on everything toinght. Ill check that the cylinders are re torqued and that the head is retorqued. I will run brand new plugs in it. 

Maybe it was just my imagination that thought the smoke was coolant but I will update After tonight. The tons of smoke out of the left pipe had me nervous.

25 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

leak down test test for air leaks that can cause lean air fuel ratios and potentially burn a motor down, would have to be a big leak to do that but none the less you want to try to eliminate as much leaking as possible.   

Would a shop rent that to use, you think? or am I going to have to buy it?

Would a shop rent that to use, you think? or am I going to have to buy it?
Buy or make your own.. South Texas Banshee... Sells a kit.. He has a lot of good ( how to ) videos on his site also.everything from motor building and checking port timing to adjusting and syncing carbs..

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk