28mm pwk

I'd stick with the stock carbs. They'll flow enough air for way more power than you're putting down.  I would suggest getting a cool head.  Depending on what fuel, and if your crank is welded, will determine what CC of dome you can run.  My .02.

PWK28's are a good mod to me, because they simplify the carb setup,  dont need to worry about which bowl is which, a choke tube, or anything.  

If he wants more power, best bang for the buck is port work. 

2 piece head such as Pro Design requires an O ring on every stud, they have ran fine for years but I personally went with a Driveline to avoid extra O rings that can potentially leak. As far as your carb question about 28's I will add my opinion, stockers will do fine but I switched to PWK28's a few years ago and noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response. I was very impressed. The reason I made the switch was because 2 of my buddies had them on their Banshee's and they too had way better throttle response than mine and all were set up similar.