Piston Gap

I am concerned about the gap between the Piston and the cylinder wall. These are cheap pistons so I am hesitant to put it back together. I don't have any feeler gauges but I can get my fingernail in the gap.

Is this an issue? I feel like it is and will cause low compression and should just get some Wiseco pistons. Anybody selling 64mm Wiseco pistons and rings?1f8768cbd151340e89d8651d8df5449d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Banshee2105 said:

I am concerned about the gap between the Piston and the cylinder wall. These are cheap pistons so I am hesitant to put it back together. I don't have any feeler gauges but I can get my fingernail in the gap.

Is this an issue? I feel like it is and will cause low compression and should just get some Wiseco pistons. Anybody selling 64mm Wiseco pistons and rings?1f8768cbd151340e89d8651d8df5449d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Piston to wall clearance is measured at the piston skirt not the top of the piston. The top of the piston is the narrowest point. The piston also is not round it is cam shaped. So you need to measure piston from intake side to exhaust side about 3/4s of an inch up from the bottom of the skirt. At that point your cyls should be roughly .003 larger than the piston at that point. Also need to check your ring gap before installing any piston.. Jmo

Edited by JUSTWANNARACE

From personal experience dealing with these cylinders and the pistons that come with them, I wouldn’t put that top end together. When I measured the wall clearance it was almost .002 over the 0.0024 spec listed in my Clymers manual. If I recall the side clearance for the rings was also off.

I ended up fitting Namura pistons to the cylinders and the thing still runs to this day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk