Banshee making noise at idle

13HemiRam

I just got my roundhouse swingarm on and everything back together today and I wanted to take it for a spin to make sure everything was good. I fired it up and made a lap around the yard, all was good. Then I shut it off and checked everything one more time. Fired it up and starting riding again, still good. I stopped and got off to turn the quad around and I started hearing this knocking or rattling sound. It seems like it's coming more from the clutch side of the engine and only does it at idle. When I rev the bike up it seems to go away and that's what has me stumped.

I'm pretty new to banshees so I'm not too sure what it might be. It has about 3 hours on the new motor, top and bottom. Also has a big bore Athena kit, which I did not purchase or install. The previous owner had a machine shop build the engine. I wouldn't have wasted the money on the Athena kit. Anyways, my thoughts are maybe something with the water pump impeller, idler gear, kickstarter, or maybe a broken or cracked piston skirt? (since these are junk cast pistons)

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is a video of the noise. At 0:22 I rev it up slightly and it goes away then comes back around 0:27 when it drops back to idle.

Edited by 13HemiRam

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a stethoscope, if so it helps. Could be a lot of things.

Does tone change when you pull clutch in?

Piston to cylinder wall clearance?

Does motor have air leak causing deto knock?

What Pistons were used?

I've seen machine shops that are used to dealing with automotive shit run the piston to cylinder clearance at .008 and it made same noise.

I've seen same noise from collapsed skirts from leaking head/deto issue and overheating

• 4 weeks later...

So my basket does have some play in it. It "spins" back and forth a little bit like maybe an 1/8 inch or so. The clip is still on the idler gear and it has some movement on the shaft but I wouldn't say it's excessive. Is that normal for the idler gear or should it be pretty tight on the shaft? I assume the basket moving isn't good though, so what are my next steps with that? Repair or replace the basket?

Thanks