FNG questions

Hello all, fng here new member. I have been on the site quite often just now got around to signin up. I dont currently own a banshee but am in process of gettin one. (Had a Raptor) Always been around guys who rode Banshees and always wanted one but was scared away because of all the talk about "fresh rebuild" or "it blew up now needs rebuild". Anyway I have decided I am going to get a banshee finally and I was hoping not to sound like a rookie but I do have some questions

First, I rode with guys who had all bone stock banshees and never had a bit of problems out of them. It was the guys who went to modding stuff that seemed like they were always blown up.

So my question is what steps can you do to prevent engine damage? Short of not abusing it.

Another question, probably a dumb one but what's is the TORS system? I know some safety crap

but that's all I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cool thanks. I didn't know this method. I just figured if you were fouling plugs it was too rich. I'm in process of trying to get a 97 that's had the top end pulled. A few friends are gonna help me pull engine and tear down and rebuild if I do get it. I wanted to buy a runner but I guess its good to rebuild and know whats inside

Cheap, fast, reliable.  Pick any 2, but you can't have 3.  That's generally how it goes. 

When you put the top end back together, make sure you check for anything pried apart with a flat-tip screwdriver.  If that has happened, get ready for a leak in that spot.  Might as well go ahead and get the epoxy out.  Get new seals, new gaskets, replace hoses, fix wires, etc.  Make sure your sleeve is fine, piston-sleeve clearance is within spec, check the end gap on your rings, replace any worn parts.  If you need a bore, get forged pistons and give them to the chop boring the cylinder.  Lube everything up, assemble, torque everything to spec and in the order that you should.  Do a leakdown test, fix any discrepancies.  Add fluids, and watch for leaks from screwdriver idiots, fix any discrepancies. Make sure you pipes are seated correctly.  Do heat cycles. Tune it and do a plug chop. 

Anything can be made reliable.  A lot of guys say that a Banshee needs to be rebuilt every 90 hours, but my dad has a '94 with the factory hone marks.  Run good oil, good gas, at good ratios, always (this doesn't mean Quicksilver or Stihl). Run a clean filter with filter oil.  Don't keep it wound out.  Use the clutch.  If you must refrain from using the clutch, at least use it on downshifts.  If you run gas with ethanol, run the gas out of it before you allow it to sit for more than a day or 2. 

This isn't a rebuild guide, but I think that covers most screw ups.

I just put the 24th tank in my banshee and I haven't had a hitch yet.  My dads has been running strong for over 20 without a rebuild. 

Edited by tfaith08