AC Racing Grab Bar Trouble

ETR174

Today I went to the Michigan Buggy Builders Show which sells lots of sand rail parts and surprisingly enough there was a guy with a stand selling Banshee parts. I got a deal with an AC Racing rear grab bar and a what I think is stock handlebars for $30. I just tried installing the grab bar and there is two problems. First is the bar with the two holes that mount onto the frame, the bar is too wide. I got some gloves and tried prying the silencer out of the way for a couple of seconds to slide the mounting bar in and it fit with a tight squeeze. I couldn't get the bolts to screw in at the front most part and the bolts at the back that mount to the frame are too short. I'm going to shave the extra 1/4 inch of the mounting bar off. Second problem is the tail light mounts are at a different angle and I have a Mechanical drafting class at school so I'm going to sketch CAD diagrams to make adapters for the taillights so that my friend can CNC me an adapter. My main question is do you guys think this is for a newer model Banshee? I have a '93 so I don't know if the grab bars are that thick on newer ones or something that would just be a direct drop in replacement. The holes for the mounting is in the correct places so I'm confused on that part. Hopefully my handlebars don't turn out the same way. If you guys can I'll post pics of the handlebars tomorrow and I wanted to ask if they're stock or not. Thanks.

Edit: Guess I should give you some pics of the grab barmy2ejagu.jpg

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Edited by ETR174

I have one myself.. same ordeal for that grab bar I mount the silencers on the inside and have the grab bar mount ontop of the silencer mounts.

Tail light prob needs a special "ac" mount... I ended up zip tying my stock light back on temporarily.

When buying those grab bars new... they come with new bolts and spacers for it... reason why some of your shit isnt working with it

Sounds like that's the problem. I've got a ton of bolts and spacers so I'll try installing it that way. Also just so wondering, what year bike do you have? I wonder if its for a certain year series.

the banshee subframe had no changes in it since they started manufacturing it. its just AC grab bars being somewhat poorly designed.

Have you had any problems with this besides mounting? Also when I got it it had a Graydon Proline sticker on the back so is Graydon owned by AC Racing now or maybe the guy just put a Graydon sticker on it for looks or because it was a sponsor.

Probably. I got it mounted hillbilly style for now. I'm going to find a substitution for spacers. Here's what I got so far. Finding a way now to mount the lights. Hopefully I can get it done before I go to drivers training. Edit: forgot to add a pic againqa3y4yme.jpg

Edited by ETR174

Was the dealer the owner of motor city atv?

How did I know you were going to bring this up? Anyways no, some company in Ohio. They had some badass stuff. They had 2 drag Banshees, 1 with everything (including a wheelie bar) and another with just the frame and the engine. They hand make frames and swingarms. Their frames are super light. I could pick it up and it was extended frame with a Trinity Cheetah in it.

I Had the same problem mounting my AC I Found some longer bolts and made some spacers I Still didn't mount the light to it When you get the light mount made Post some pics of it

Ok sure thing

I Had the same problem mounting my AC I Found some longer bolts and made some spacers I Still didn't mount the light to it When you get the light mount made Post some pics of it

Ok I got the taillight problem fixed. I didn't end up making a new mount I just took some vice grips and bet the 90 angle facing down up and spread the mounts apart a little so it would mount. Here's some pictures to see for yourself.suhy6ytu.jpge3uryva6.jpgyza4a2e2.jpg