Help For A Newbie

AbsoLut

I been ridin fourwheelers for years, i just never mod them or anything such as that and I just bought a 2002 banshee and i want it to have some more power :D What's some stuff i can do that'll make it zoom? :D I use it for Trail riding and the occasional dragging.

BTW, what's "WOT", Reeds, Porting?

Sorry fer being so uneducated about all this stuff, but hey... everyone has to start out somewhere :D

(Oh yea, when i got my 'shee it came with FMF Gnarly Gold series and Powercore 2 silencers... And that's all i know what's been done to it.. how can i check the carb to make sure it's jetted right and what-not... I don't want to start pullin shit apart and end up screwing some shit up :D)

Well those pipes i think are pretty good for trails. To check the jetting just make sure the silencers are blowing the same amount of smoke and they are the same temp.(important) U could just check ur plugs too. Just go full out on a stretch for bout a 1/4 mile and then pull them.

hey man,

best bet....buy a Clymers manual....even for the most experienced people it's always good to have a clymers manual around...you can buy them for roughly $25...you can order them from your local bike shop...it basically takes your banshee...and breaks it down to every nut and bolt...and also tells you how to put it back together correctly lol...

as far as your questions..."WOT" means "Wide Open Throttle"...ya know...where most people ride their banshees...completely balls to the wall open...

"port"...2 strokes have ports like 4 strokes have valves...it's just where the fuel goes into the cylinder and comes out the exhaust...nothing really.

"reeds" ... these are the things inside the intake (where your carb connects to the jug/cylinder)...they are on cages and kinda filter/regulate the fuel going into the intake port and into the actual cylinder....

the clymers manual will show you how to take apart your carb but in order to find out what jets you are running you have to take off the Bowl of your carb...thats the very bottom of it...it has like 4 small screws...just be sure not to drop anything like that gold keeper (i speak from experience)...it's a bitch to find lol...

hope this somewhat helps....im sure there are other people out there that'll give you more definate answers...

have fun and ride safe

Mike

porting.... is the process of changing the shape / size etc.of the ports feeding air/fuel mix into, and exhaust gasses out of, the cylinder/s.

different shapes sizes and positions (up and down) mated with different engine modifications produce your specific power statistics. porting is an art/skill which is attempted by many and mastered by few. (i am NOT one of them, i have never even tried it, i may sound like i know what i am talking about but i am realy just a dumb aussie)

on top of what The New Guy said reeds are a valve which allows air/fuel mix to enter the crankcase while it is in vacuum (pistons on their way up) and blocks the mix from blowing back into the carbs while in compression(pistons on their way down).

B)

• 2 weeks later...

A k&n filter is a good and easy mod and makes a hell of an improvement

Also when ordering the filter order the proflow mount for it and take air box lid off.

you will have to re-jet I have a 2000 Shee with the same pipes and I am in the middle of doing a total rebuild.The Shee is bored 20 over , K&N, Iadded the alum water impeller, wisco piston and rings, Billet clutch, boost bottle(regulates the air between the carbs,, low end) NGK pluggs are the best I can run forever and only change to do it not cause I have to. Other than the motor I added fornt end +2,+1 in the front and +2 durablue adjustable in the rear..

i would say pipes not olney cuz they add power the sound awesome depending on what kind you get but if you get popes and get it jetted good it should add good power and after that just keep moveing up with more mods as you get more $$

Definitely get that Clymers manual. I had never been into an engine until about six months ago but the manual makes everything easy. Sometimes I feel like complete dork flipping through the book while I'm working on the bike but it is the best $20 I've ever spent.