help setting up shock... stiff as wedding d***

yoder

i just got my shock rebuilt by a reputable shop mentioned on here many times and from fellow friends and I got it back and they installed a new spring which I was told I wasn't gonna need since I only weigh about 180 and got it back with a new eibach spring on it and tried to set it up and the thing dosnt have a whole lot of rebound still. the clicker for the rebound does not click... It will spin but no click to determine anything and I have yet to make a difference if its all the way in or ..... turns out. any help would be greatly appreciated

Whew... Dodged that bullet. Anyways, I can try to help you out.

The rebound adjuster controls MOST of the adjustability on both the rebound, and compression side (It's hard to explain without physically showing you the workings of the adjuster, but just trust me on this). The compression adjuster controls about 25% of the total adjustability, and the other 75% is controlled by the rebound adjusterThere could be a couple reasons that it doesn't click. There are certain modifications that are done to the shock that eliminates the rebound adjustment. For example: The shock is being set up for specific static valving for a specific event/course/track where you absolutely don't want anything changing.

The other scenario as to why it wouldn't click, is because parts are missing out of it. It is VERY common to lose a small part out of the shaft when the shock is being serviced. Unless you really know what you are doing, and do these shocks a LOT, it's easy to lose it. With that being said, the adjuster should still move on the rod end. It should still "thread" up and down. You'll have to really look at it, as it only moves about 1/4" total, but it should thread all the way up until the rubber is pushing up against the flat aluminum piece where the spring retainer sits.

With that being said, what swingarm length, and what spring did they install? I can tell you what I would have put on it, and you can go from there.

its a eibach 337227 and has another number of 0900.225.0300. I can see the rebound adjustment move like you said as I have it sitting on my workbench again but does not seem to make a world of difference from one extreme to the other. thanks for the help in advance

Wow, a 300lb spring is almost exactly what a stock spring is. A stock spring is 5.4kg/mm which equates out to a 302lb spring. I really don't see a reason why they would change the spring.

I would be getting in contact with them and find out exactly why in the hell they changed the spring in the first place. It's probably safe to assume they charged you for it?

The clicking should always be there. My bet is that the small part I am talking about is missing.

I would have just rebuilt and revalved your shock, and left the stock spring alone. There's no sense in throwing money at a spring.

Are you saying your shock IS stiff, or you want it stiffer?

i set the sag like have read to in many threads and posts and once my 180lbs is sitting on it, it feels like a rock and feels like there is no rebound at all. when it hits bottom it seems to hit bottom and does not feel like it comes back up afterwards like it should. maybe i am spoiled by my floats up front but i would've thought i could get something more out of the back after a rebuild. and yes they did charge me for the spring