whats best for duneing

voodoo69

ok so i bet this has probably been asked alot but here we go.so i have a 1987 j arm with a +6 swinger i am about 180lb.i like to ride the big dunes that are wooped out hard at the bottom.i love the tree shots and i ride around wide open over rough sand and sky off the tops of dunes . so im askin whats best and holds up for a long time

For reliability, get a traditional coil shock. I say coil shock, because I have seen Fox Floats last less than a weekend before they were leaking air from the air spring chamber. Conversely, I have seen them last several seasons in very rugged terrain.

You're kind of asking for two or three different sets of shocks in one package. It won't happen. A happy medium would be a nice set of Elka or Custom Axis dual rate, remote reservoir or piggy back. Compression and rebound adjustment will give you a little more opportunity to change the way the shock performs on different terrain, within reason. Don't expect compression/rebound adjustments to make the shock act/react completely different. Figure on a dampening change +/- 12% lock to lock on either adjustment. Dual rate shocks are recommended on a Banshee, due to the excessive weight on the front of these bikes. Triple rates will not HURT anything, but there is no sense in paying extra for any more than a dual rate. Every shock manufacturer that is not after ever dime in your wallet will agree.

Summary: Dual rate Elka or Axis, Piggyback or Remote Reservoir, Compression/Rebound adjustment.