thinkin about puttin yfz shocks on my shee

willardwright59

i found a set of yfz shocks i might buy. i figured id run it by u guys on here to see what everyone thinks will be best.

well i ride mostly open trails, some can be a little rough at times. not big into jumping, i may hit jumps maby 2 or 3 times a year but nothing big. i also do a little road riding and a few WFO ripps across fields.

some say that the shocks wear out and kill ball joints, but others stand by them and have been riding with stock a arms and yfz shocks for years.

should i do the swap? i just need it to be safe. im on a tight budget because i just finished up a build and am now messin with my truck. any opinions on what would be best will be great! thanks.

the only or best way is to do the complete swap arms.shocks,spindles the whole shabang. mine work pretty well for the $ i have invested.for me its temp untill i get some l.t arms for my lt axis shocks...............yahooooooooo :headbang:

i agree that matt is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to suspensions. i am just letting you know how mine is for my size. im 6'1 210 and mine is anything but soft. i will say that i am looking into getting either the yfz front end or some +2 arms to better fit these since there is some bump steer with them and they sit a lil bit higher on the stock arms. but for the price i got them for i ran them and they are light years better than the banshee stocks for sure.

but for the price i got them for i ran them and they are light years better than the banshee stocks for sure.

I agree with this 100%. I personally have never run YFZ shocks on a stock banshee. I am just relaying feedback I have gotten from the customers that I have done re-spring and re-valves for. Granted, almost all of them run the ENTIRE YFZ front end, not just the shocks on stock a-arms. I've never had someone come to me and say their YFZ450 shocks were too stiff. To me, a stiff stock front end with YFZ shocks, would indicate a binding issue. Either lower eyelets binding on the lower a-arm, or a-arm pivot bolts being too tight. Banshees are front heavy. In stock trim, they weigh in at roughly 380lbs. A YFZ450 in stock trim, weighs 340lbs. It's safe to say, that the majority of the extra weight on a banshee is towards the front end of the bike. This is one of the several reasons that triple or quad rate springs are not advisable with aftermarket shocks. Aside from shock angle, the rest of the suspension geometry is pretty much the same on the banshee and YFZ when all YFZ parts are swapped onto the banshee. Essentially, you have stock YFZ suspension, with an extra 40lbs strapped to the front of it; hence the reason that the majority of complaints regarding the shocks are geared toward the softer side.

For the record, I am not totally against running a shock designed for another vehicle. On my own personal bike, I ran Fox snowmobile shocks that I set up for myself...

I agree with this 100%. I personally have never run YFZ shocks on a stock banshee. I am just relaying feedback I have gotten from the customers that I have done re-spring and re-valves for. Granted, almost all of them run the ENTIRE YFZ front end, not just the shocks on stock a-arms. I've never had someone come to me and say their YFZ450 shocks were too stiff. To me, a stiff stock front end with YFZ shocks, would indicate a binding issue. Either lower eyelets binding on the lower a-arm, or a-arm pivot bolts being too tight. Banshees are front heavy. In stock trim, they weigh in at roughly 380lbs. A YFZ450 in stock trim, weighs 340lbs. It's safe to say, that the majority of the extra weight on a banshee is towards the front end of the bike. This is one of the several reasons that triple or quad rate springs are not advisable with aftermarket shocks. Aside from shock angle, the rest of the suspension geometry is pretty much the same on the banshee and YFZ when all YFZ parts are swapped onto the banshee. Essentially, you have stock YFZ suspension, with an extra 40lbs strapped to the front of it; hence the reason that the majority of complaints regarding the shocks are geared toward the softer side.

For the record, I am not totally against running a shock designed for another vehicle. On my own personal bike, I ran Fox snowmobile shocks that I set up for myself...

i will have to take a look at that.maybe thats the issue but when i get the cash i will be going with a yfz front end. then on my other project bike i will go with some elkas or works

• 4 weeks later...

I ran yfz shocks on stock arms for a little while. I used them for pounding around on motocross tracks and they were still very stiff to me at 200 lbs. You will have to lift the front of the quad off the ground by the frame. Then, with the preload on the softest setting you will have to stand on the rezzy to compress the shock to get it to fit.

A side note about installing the yfz shocks, jack up the front end, bolt the bottom up, and if you have non-stock a arms, run a ratchet strap across the bottom at a criss cross if that makes sense(so it doesn't slip), then loop it over the top of the shock between the eyelet and the resivoir, and click it down to exactly where you need it. Only reason i say this is it's predictable and easy. Good luck. ;)