gearing a 4mil

Looking for opinions on gearing my bike. I mostly ride woods and have a dune/play ported 4mil with 35 pwk air strikers on it. I can never use 5th or 6th so i was wondering if dropping a tooth from stock would help out greatly or if I'd be happier by going back to 28 mm carbs. I just want snappy throttle response without the lag I get from bigger carbs. I know i will lose a little horsepower and top end but i think I'd be happier being able to use all its power if that makes sense if i went to 28 mm carbs. Mods are in my signature....changing sprocket would definitely be cheaper and easier. I just never realy heard of many 4mil owner using a 13 tooth.

I run 14-40 on a 4 mill hardcore mx port with 28's. Still have good top speed and it pulls good from down low. I really like it. Don't have to slip the clutch a lot either. I think your best bet would be to get some smaller carbs. If you still have your stockers throw them on just to see how you like it. Then go from there

Edited by robert0762

I like to stay on the pipe but i ride with some side by sides and have to slow it down sometimes. Most of my riding is woods riding....very similar to gncc style riding. I just like to have power hit hard and fast without any lag. I'm fine if I'm with sport quads but sucks when I'm with side by sides and 4x4 bikes it kinda sucks riding around in 2nd or 3rd. So gear down or carbs down ....or both?

Robert...I just posted at the same time as you did. I was thinking maybe get some cheap stockers and see what happens. I know i will lose a few ponies but will most likely gain the bottom I want. Just wanted to get some opinions before i throw more money at the banshee again.

My play dune ported 4 mill ripped with pro circuits and stock carbs. I don't have my bike completely dialed in yet but I was happier with stock carbs and pc's. I am going to gear down a bit to see if it gets me where I want. I am curious to hear what works well for you.

My play dune ported 4 mill ripped with pro circuits and stock carbs. I don't have my bike completely dialed in yet but I was happier with stock carbs and pc's. I am going to gear down a bit to see if it gets me where I want. I am curious to hear what works well for you.

i liked mine way better with the lower gearing since its kinda high strung. helps get stuff turning faster i guess.

Well first thing I'm gonna do is gear it down a tooth ...its a little high strung right now for sure. If that don't cut it I'm gonna try some stock carbs. May be a while before i get it going again...I'm getting ready to send my trans off to camatv to mod mine.