Installing a new clutch

mhoksch

So once I finally got my new banshee to run right, I realized my clutch was slipping in 4-6 at the top end. I ordered a new clutch from Jeff @ F.A.S.T that should be at my house when I get home from work tonight. I got new basket, hub, plates, pancake bearing. Hopefully everything I need to get it back together.

I've been reading thru my Clymers manual and watching youtube videos and I think I should do pretty good with everything. I'm going to soak the plates in my oil before putting them in, light oil on all moving parts, new gaskets. Are there any suggestions to do things better or avoid common mistakes?

My big question is the adjustment of the pancake bearing, I've been doing a decent ammount of searching and can't find much info on this. Are there any links you can direct me to? Or a quick write up?

My big question is the adjustment of the pancake bearing, I've been doing a decent ammount of searching and can't find much info on this. Are there any links you can direct me to? Or a quick write up?

It's not rocket science. Push the lever with your finger and the arrows should line up. Adjust the pancake till you get it and then tighten the locknut. Here's a thread with pics.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114695

seriously, its very easy with a clymer. just follow the instructions... since you aren't going to soak them for 24 hours when you go to start it up after your done, it might not feel like the clutch wont engage because they can't slip.. this should "fix itself" after your first ride. also i didnt use a pancake bearing i just stayed stock, just make sure that when your adjusting that the rod is pushing out the cover and you'll be alright. need any help jump on the shout box and usually someone will help ya out.

If I'm not mistaken, while you have the clutch cover. Put one hand on the pressure plate and adjust the pancake out until you feel the pressure plate move, back it off a little and you're good. Do the rest of the adjustment with the perch. The arrows don't mean shit, you can all but ignore them.

Edited by amstall

Yes. Arrows must line up or you lose travel of the arm. (The clutch shaft won't move as much, so clutch could drag.)

Pretty sure the arrows have to align?

They don't have to. You can play with it a little bit as some components might be out of spec some. I have mine adjusted where they don't line up to help get rid of some of the lurching off the line and the clutch still works fine.