powder coating

asian_invasion

I did a test run on some old stock carbs, came out half way decent, they were one of the first things I ever powder coated actually so definitely far from perfect. I don't plan on using them anymore but I'm sure they'd work fine.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/motooutcastxxx/DSCF0986.jpg

I did a test run on some old stock carbs, came out half way decent, they were one of the first things I ever powder coated actually so definitely far from perfect. I don't plan on using them anymore but I'm sure they'd work fine.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/motooutcastxxx/DSCF0986.jpg

You just did the bowls

You just did the bowls

looks like the bodies are done in silver.

i considered doing mine when i was on a coating spree this winter but the time to mask stuffs off and prep them was more than i wanted to do. i am lazy.

looks like the bodies are done in silver.

i considered doing mine when i was on a coating spree this winter but the time to mask stuffs off and prep them was more than i wanted to do. i am lazy.

Thats what i thought wonder how long it took? I started to mess with it, and same thought it will take a ton of time...

You just did the bowls

Yeah it definitely took a little while to prep, and it still wasn't perfect, I still had a long way to go in the learning process at that point. The bodies of the carbs were done in powder chrome, and not that it matters but the tops and bowls were done in matte black with a top coat of blue flake clear.

If you take your time with the prep process and make sure every spec of dust, dirt, and grease is removed, or better yet start with a brand new set of carbs, you will be more than happy with the end result.

A couple more pics, I mean they are fucked up no doubt but if I were to throw them on most people would think they looked halfway decent, unless they powder coat themselves. I have 2 other sets of carbs, probably do it again just not the powder chrome.

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/motooutcastxxx/DSCF0987.jpg

http://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg516/motooutcastxxx/DSCF0990.jpg

With my carbs I actually made a HUGE mistake so there's 3 coats on there. Was advised to throw a clear coat on in order for the chrome to keep it's luster so I bought some super high gloss clear, bad idea too say the least, it wasn't the one they recommended. It completely dulled the chrome and made it look like there was a plastic coating over it, which in a sense there is but the end result was very bizarre looking. Kind of reminded me of my Italian grandparents' furniture back in the day with the plastic covers on all of it. So I ended up throwing another coat of chrome over it and called it a day.

...And agreed PREP IS ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Yeah it definitely took a little while to prep, and it still wasn't perfect, I still had a long way to go in the learning process at that point. The bodies of the carbs were done in powder chrome, and not that it matters but the tops and bowls were done in matte black with a top coat of blue flake clear.

If you take your time with the prep process and make sure every spec of dust, dirt, and grease is removed, or better yet start with a brand new set of carbs, you will be more than happy with the end result.

Think im going to do it on my pitbike 1st so a screw up isnt so costly!!! I like the looks of that chrome you used... how do they look now cause i heard that chrome powder kinda dulls or fades out quickly..

Think im going to do it on my pitbike 1st so a screw up isnt so costly!!! I like the looks of that chrome you used... how do they look now cause i heard that chrome powder kinda dulls or fades out quickly..

The chrome still looks just like in the pics I believe, they've just been sitting on the shelf since I did them about 6 months ago though. If you get the right clear coat it'll help to keep the chrome looking pretty good for a while, they just didn't have any in stock at the time so I tried the super high gloss... :shootself:

Again.. prep is everything, when it looks like the part is ready to coat and it is clean, clean, clean I usually spray it down with All Prep or something similar and let it sit for 15 minutes or so (sometimes I wipe it off sometimes I don't), and then throw it in the oven at 350-400 for another 15-20 minutes. Usually a blast of compressed air even after that, then I apply the powder once it's cooled just a little bit.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/Allprep_p/ap.htm

The chrome still looks just like in the pics I believe, they've just been sitting on the shelf since I did them about 6 months ago though. If you get the right clear coat it'll help to keep the chrome looking pretty good for a while, they just didn't have any in stock at the time so I tried the super high gloss... :shootself:

Again.. prep is everything, when it looks like the part is ready to coat and it is clean, clean, clean I usually spray it down with All Prep or something similar and let it sit for 15 minutes or so (sometimes I wipe it off sometimes I don't), and then throw it in the oven at 350-400 for another 15-20 minutes. Usually a blast of compressed air even after that, then I apply the powder once it's cooled just a little bit.

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/Allprep_p/ap.htm

Sweet thanks man for all the help!!! I will be starting a on the pit bike carb this week and will send u a pic when im done....

I was warned to stay away from Columbia coatings

For some reason that doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any major problems but there have been a few little things that have given me the 'stay away' vibe. Haven't really been PC'ing too much lately, winter in the northeast and I too am pretty freakin' lazy so I've been searching for a new vendor on occasion. I might try Powder By the Pound next... we'll see.

i just bough two colors super durable wet black and white, do u think i should clear coat these?

You should be fine without, I personally wouldn't bother. A lot of times they'll let you know or it'll say on the jar of powder if a clear coat is necessary, but I suppose that also probably depends where you get the powder. Being that it's 'super durable' wet black I definitely wouldn't throw any over that, I'd be afraid it might dull it a bit... Then again there's all sorts of different clear powder for all sorts of different situations. :cheers: