Nut molded in fuel tank is spinning

Chip M

Has anyone had any luck repairing one of the nuts that are molded into the rear side of a stock fuel tank? I have one with the screw still stuck in it. I had to slit the front fender plastics and slide it out from behind the screw to get the fender off. The screw will not tighten or loosen, nut is spinning free. Thanks

On one tank I had I tried heating the threaded insert with my large soldering iron to soften the plastic and then let it cool around the insert to "Re-mold" it in place.......lasted 2 years before it spun again.

If it dind't work I was going to just Crazy Glue/JB weld it.

Now I own so many spare tanks I have enough to pitch the ones that break.

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

drill out the threaded insert and put a helicoil in there, then buy a new bolt.

He is talking about a bushing that is molded to the fuel tank. Not much you can do I'm afraid. You could remove the bolt and bushing, get some double bubble epoxy and try epoxying the bushing in a larger hole.

You will have to drill the hole out bigger. Then thread the bolt to the bottom of the bushing back out the bolt 1 tread and pack with Vaseline. Then fill the hole with epoxy. If it was me I would look at finding a tank.

If I was going to fix, I would try drilling smaller holes in the plastic at an angle to give the epoxy something to go into. Spray with denatured alcohol or ether to clean and remove all moisture from the plastic.

Hope that helps.

Double Bubble is quick set 2 part epoxy. It is very good stuff there are many epoxies but I like DB

Adam