Alky plug... Somebody read this real quik?

Looks pretty safe with only a 50% burn on the plating. How did the plug look after a pass or two? There looks to be some nasty build up on the ground strap, so I would be looking at heat range of the plug and/or spark advance. As far as jetting goes, if the heat range on the plug is correct you will gain power leaning it out until the cadmium is burned off 75-90% of the ring. Leaning it out after that and getting the burn into the threads on the body is the difference between good tune and hot rod tune. The power gains are not huge in between but the heat created is substantial so be careful. Run it rich at idle and the throttle response will be great, idling lean not so much.

Looks pretty safe with only a 50% burn on the plating. How did the plug look after a pass or two? There looks to be some nasty build up on the ground strap, so I would be looking at heat range of the plug and/or spark advance. As far as jetting goes, if the heat range on the plug is correct you will gain power leaning it out until the cadmium is burned off 75-90% of the ring. Leaning it out after that and getting the burn into the threads on the body is the difference between good tune and hot rod tune. The power gains are not huge in between but the heat created is substantial so be careful. Run it rich at idle and the throttle response will be great, idling lean not so much.

That "nasty buildup" is where I beat it on the trailer closing the gap is all. So I thought from what I read 50%of the plating should be burned off? (the 3 and 9 deal) It's got killer throttle response. Everyone who climbs off the seat... That's the first thing they say. I just don't know much bout alky and don't wanna burn the house down! when I made 2 passes I saw some heat build at base of ground strap and Dutch35o to rich it up a lil, then made 2 or 3 more passes. As info... Timing is on 7 it's a 4 mil stock cylinder drag ported. I could use all the info I can get! Thanks

That "nasty buildup" is where I beat it on the trailer closing the gap is all. So I thought from what I read 50%of the plating should be burned off? (the 3 and 9 deal) It's got killer throttle response. Everyone who climbs off the seat... That's the first thing they say. I just don't know much bout alky and don't wanna burn the house down! when I made 2 passes I saw some heat build at base of ground strap and Dutch35o to rich it up a lil, then made 2 or 3 more passes. As info... Timing is on 7 it's a 4 mil stock cylinder drag ported. I could use all the info I can get! Thanks

The buildup I was referring to was more the black residue. It looks as though there isn't much temp in the strap to keep it clean and therefore looks like burned oil residue on it. The percentage of the ring is just an indicator of cylinder temp, some motors like more and some less. To say it needs to be tuned to 50% is a huge blanket statement. Best thing to do would be to warm it up and put two hits on fresh plugs and pull them out. We need a good shot looking into the plug to read fuel mixture, and a good side shot of the strap/electrode to check the correct heat range and advance. Evan