Got my first shee. Need some Pointers.

FreeAgentRider

so i hit a wrong button and only saved that first part lol. heres the rest. i'm not sure if the pics work first time using photo bucket and stuff.

Ok well i am new to this site. i've been trying to do a lot of research before i act stupid or ask stupid questions. But I would rather know than not know at all... So I got the ache and searched for a bike for about two months. i finally found one that was cheap enough and that wanted my tlc. It's a 97' and didn't run at the time. The guy I bought it from said that it did before at the beging of the summer before I bought it. It has been sitting for a while outside. So I had a really good look at it and it didn't look that bad, i got some pics. I t has some after market parts from Dave Ripps(r.i.p.), looks like cool head, and spacers. it also has t5 pipes and unknown silencers. with k&N dual pod filters and outer wears. I got it home and took out the plugs, they where just nasty as hell. new ones went in. I went ahead and pulled the carbs( one at a time) and checked what i t was running, it's got 280 main and 27.5 secoundary(?), everything looked clean inside the carbs nothing out of place or nasty. The tors has been eliminated but the idle screws have not been put in place. So after tinkering with everything i got it started probably after a few houndred kicks( what it seemed like) and it came alive! let it ran for a bit and tried to let it idle, no go. so i know i already answered that question( idle screw mod). So i am going to change the crank case oil and trans oil and get that old fuel out. Haven't given it a ride yet but when i had it running i checked the clutch out and the gears grab and clutch ingaged so that might be good, we'll see when i get to take it out. oh and I live in portland oR so i'm going to ride at the coast is the jetting close? what a good way to tune the carbs? like the air /fuel mixture and such. That and i really don't know what has been done to the motor like what kind of domes are in it or if its had any port jobs or stator or clutch or anything. gonna take more time and pull all the covers off and check it all ou. Going to do the carb caps and the the idle adjustment mod. Anything else to make my life easier in the future? any tips or anything right now let me have it. i want to know as much as i possible about my new banshee!!!!!!!!! :headbang::dance:

Edited by FreeAgentRider

the bike, head lights got to go!!!!!!!

Welcome again.... Looks like a nice shee! I think that is laker plastic? I'm no expert. You are definitely doing the right thing changing to fresh premium gas, best mix is around 40:1, and making sure the carbs are clean. I would get new spark plugs, and check out the condition of the carb boots and the crosstube between the carbs. Basically make sure all the carb plumbing is in good shape. Looks like in has v force reeds as well. I think the 280/27.5 setup is what toomey sends with their perfect jet kit, and it's pretty darn close to where you need to be. I also recommend you do a compression test. sync the carbs, and yes there are delete caps is a good idea as well. Fast racing sells a sync tool, as well as any other parts you may need. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fullbore plastics. Nice shee and welcome to the community. U could check ur compression if it took that many kicks to kick over and doesnt want to idle. If you have a leak anywere you could blow something. Any problems start with compression check and a leakdown test and go from there. That will sometimes help you pin point the problem. Posibly need new gasket or a top end rebuild.

ya they are full bore plastics. not sure if i wanna keep the i like tha classic look. but if i do keep them going to race cut them. i haven't been able to do a compression check yet but i wil def. could it be a reed problem as well? by rop end you mean pistion rings and head gasket? next week i will built myself a leakdown test i saw the post on it and looks like a great idea. and it does hae new plugs in it too. lol one thing at a time and taken her slow. then i'm gonna ride her hard..lol

Fullbore plastics. Nice shee and welcome to the community. U could check ur compression if it took that many kicks to kick over and doesnt want to idle. If you have a leak anywere you could blow something. Any problems start with compression check and a leakdown test and go from there. That will sometimes help you pin point the problem. Posibly need new gasket or a top end rebuild.

The compression might be off but it also hasn't ran if forever either because the previous owner did not know what he had. Compression teat and leak down test are def the next things on the list of things to do. Besides everything else lol. Can't wait for pay day!

alright got her runnig fairly nice right now i think the jetting might work for this set up. to fix the idle for right now i just cheated and adjusted the thumb throttle cable until i get the cap kit and idle screw mod.

now i just nee to tune her up a little more figure out how much the air fuel mix needs to be turned out and i think we are set. or are we? am i forgeting something? it got a cool head with un know domes or port job. t5 pipes and unknown silencers andk&n pod filters. with spacers and vforce reeds. if you have any advice on more tuning or how to get more power out of her that would be great. was thinking about that advancing the stator, does that really make a diff? and how about that trans mod taking out the dogs?...