Help with transmission issue

After some intense riding on sunday, I started to feel a "skip" in the drivetrain under load. Most so when shooting up a hill in first or second. I was damn sure it was my chain jumping on the sprocket so I babied it back to camp for an inspection. The chain was well within normal spec (maybe a tad on the tight side when sitting on the bike) and there were no missing teeth on the sprockets. This leads me to believe the skip is in the transmission. I had already planned on pulling the engine and splitting the cases for a 4 mil crank. So, while I'm in there, anyone have any ideas where to look? Could it be a tweaked shift fork or a worn dog gear? Never had to touch a motorcycle transmission for repairs before so this will be a first.

well, if it's more than one gear, i'd first suspect the axle-sprocket hub splines slipping. if it is, in fact in the trans, then likely a shift fork bent, but the skipping would have rouned off the cogs, meaning a few gears, and fork(s) would need replaced. if that's the case, check the drum for wear, especially on 2nd peak.

teamrealtree has a tranny cluster for sale at a badass price right now, actually, or you can get brand new at a dealership. your build level and riding will decide what you should do. there is overrides and billet gears, but you may not like, or need either.

Plan is a 4mil stock cylinder ported to match the Toomey T5 power curve. Would stock replacement gears hold up to this? The motor that broke the trans now is stock port, stock internals with typical aftermarket bolt ons. I don't think an override would be a viable option for me since a lot of everything, from hair scrambles to trails to drag racing buddies.

On a side note, do those sprocket shaft supports do any good?

• 2 months later...

It's not the tranny ... it's the clutch "shuddering" (not the typical "slipping") that you are feeling.

Changing the fluid and/or increasing spring tension typically fixes that "skip" feeling, if not, install new plates.

I have only felt this twice in 10yrs of riding, but I know what that feeling is now & usually only occurs when the clutch conditions are just right ... or wrong rather. Fluid temp/vis & spring tension are the 2 variables that I was able to narrow it doen to when I was experiencing this oddity.

Edited by Forcefed

It's not the tranny ... it's the clutch "shuddering" (not the typical "slipping") that you are feeling.

Changing the fluid and/or increasing spring tension typically fixes that "skip" feeling, if not, install new plates.

I have only felt this twice in 10yrs of riding, but I know what that feeling is now & usually only occurs when the clutch conditions are just right ... or wrong rather. Fluid temp/vis & spring tension are the 2 variables that I was able to narrow it doen to when I was experiencing this oddity.

oooh, would this make an audible "click" that other riders could hear behind me? It was pretty loud. Anyways, I plan on new inner/outer clutch hub, plates, frictions, springs, and a lock up.

the clicking noise can be caused by a worn rear sprocket. if it has any little hooks it will catch the chain and cause your noise. had the same prob twice now.

x2 on the sprocket also a chain that is badly streched can cause a clicking usually it is louder pushin the bike backwards.

My chain and sprockets looked new (they only had 10 hours on the set). My swinger bushings need to be replaced. Maybe the added torque in first and second was enough to pull the swing arm and axle in on the left side enough to place the rear sprocket closer and/or at a funky angle so the chain would skip? Anyways, the quad is apart and there isn't much I can do to troubleshoot until its back together in the spring. That is, if the problem still persists.

Thanks for the input guys!