crank was binding after reassembly

So I got the bottom end together last night on my CR500. Crank is brand new with a new rod and it spun freely when it was on the clutch side bearing. I mated the 2 halves and initially it was binding at 1 spot but fine the rest of the way. I spun it over a few times now it spins freely with no issues. Should I be concerned about this?

So I got the bottom end together last night on my CR500. Crank is brand new with a new rod and it spun freely when it was on the clutch side bearing. I mated the 2 halves and initially it was binding at 1 spot but fine the rest of the way. I spun it over a few times now it spins freely with no issues. Should I be concerned about this?

Probably not. It is not uncommon when assembling vertically split cases to get the crank biased to one side which kind of rubs on the case a bit. You can usually tap the crank over just a touch and it will clear. If your crank rotates and rubs only in one spot, I would be concerned the crank is not trued very well. You might double check with your builder but I commonly see cranks that are "trued" that have .005" of runout which will not last very long. Just something to look at.

Mull Engineering