Winchester Bay - New Banshee Hill?

Ducman

I was at Winchester Bay last week, it had been 1 year since I had ridden there. There was a new Banshee Hill, or at least new to me, about 100 ft to the North of the old banshee hill. When the heck did this hill climb get made? It was alot like the "side shute" to banshee hill. It was a 2 wheel rut steep and windy hill climb through the trees. Obsticles were not that bad. I had 21" paddles and was just barely able to keep from getting high centered on the center burm between the ruts. I didn't see many others able to climb it except one guy on a raptor 700 with 22's seemed to own the hill every time. It was one of the funnest hill climbs of all time! I sooo kick myself for not getting a helmet cam! The only problem is that it would over heat my shee like a mofo due to all 1rst gear and such a long hill climb, but still worth it! On a side note the old side schute was a heck of a lot of fun too and rideable from bottom to top, no major obsticles.

Just had to share.

there are actually like 4 chutes in that area now that all come out close to each other. People are cutting these new trails all the time and that is what is pissing the forest service off. unfortuneately. They are alot of fun.

1 - The original Banshee Hill

2 - The Banshee Hill side chute just to the left.

3 - The new Banshee Hill chute approx 150' to the North and ending just left at the top of Banshee Hill.

Where's the 4th one at? Did I miss one? I guess I better go back and look! J/K

Yeah, I thought is was pretty retarded when they blocked off the end of the finger above (North of) Banshee hill.

When the the forest service starts to micro manage an area like this, its not a good sign.

Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting pictures of 1966 vs 2010 and overwhelming INCREASE in vegatative growth on the sand dunes. I had no idea! What is rediculous about Winchester Bay is that they could easily open up 75% more riding area to the south and it would take a lot of pressure off the existing riding area and trails simply due to dissapating the # of riders per square area. Anything that would increase ATV interest and draw more riders to a riding area is obviously against the Forrest Service's NAZI agenda.

• 2 weeks later...

The forest service needs to chill out. We already have a miniscule amount of dunes to ride on compared to years and years ago. Now everything is covred by grass, trees, or its closed.

heres my question for you guys, so if an area is open to quads, motorcycles, jeeps and other motorized sports do you think you should beable to just cut a trail anywhere you want just because you need more of a challange, here locally I in the woods they are closing most of the riding down because people can't figure out how to stay on trails. to me I feel the people who take off through vegetation and cut new trails are just putting the nails in the coffin. I hate having the areas get smaller and that is why they are getting smaller. I am not a greeny or a tree hugger I ride snowmobiles and quads and I am tired of seeing stuff get closed down. Use common sense before you can't ride quads anywhere. we are in democratic states don't give them amunition to close the areas down.

All that land at one time was open dunes. The forest service planted european desert grass, and in turn that made a habitat for trees to be able to grow. The forest service admitted they made a mistake when they introduced european desert grass. That is our riding land, there is no off limits sign, so we ride it.

All that land at one time was open dunes. The forest service planted european desert grass, and in turn that made a habitat for trees to be able to grow. The forest service admitted they made a mistake when they introduced european desert grass. That is our riding land, there is no off limits sign, so we ride it.

I understand your thinking and the problem is that they do not care what we think so we have to play by there rules. I have ran that hill but it was already cut. I don't want to get in a pissing match but I hear this alot riding quads and sleds. s do you ride at all in the woods here locally? do you cut new trails?

I cut down a tree with an AR15 today, so your not gonna get much compassion from me with this topic. I will ride in the area where I am supposed to, and I will follow the rules. There isn't anything in the rules that says you cant blaze your own trails in bounds.

I cut down a tree with an AR15 today, so your not gonna get much compassion from me with this topic. I will ride in the area where I am supposed to, and I will follow the rules. There isn't anything in the rules that says you cant blaze your own trails in bounds.

Depending on what staging area you ride out of, some of them have signs that say to stay on established trails. I do know that in the 90s they took away ALOT of good riding in the Oregon Dunes becuase people that live close by don't like the noise. Once again we are fighting with the Ecoterrorists and the forest service to keep our riding areas open down there, and they will use anything and everything that they can to shut us down.

Edited by bansheesandrider

Depending on what staging area you ride out of, some of them have signs that say to stay on established trails. I do know that in the 90s they took away ALOT of good riding in the Oregon Dunes becuase people that live close by don't like the noise. Once again we are fighting with the Ecoterrorists and the forest service to keep our riding areas open down there, and they will use anything and everything that they can to shut us down.

excactly what I'm trying to say, trust me you will start caring when they shut these areas down or make them so small that you might as well go to sand lake. but it doesn't matter its a designated area. see how far that gets you when you are fighted to keep the area open. they shouldn't have to put signs infront of every area that has vegetation. JMO

heres my question for you guys, so if an area is open to quads, motorcycles, jeeps and other motorized sports do you think you should beable to just cut a trail anywhere you want just because you need more of a challange, here locally I in the woods they are closing most of the riding down because people can't figure out how to stay on trails. to me I feel the people who take off through vegetation and cut new trails are just putting the nails in the coffin. I hate having the areas get smaller and that is why they are getting smaller. I am not a greeny or a tree hugger I ride snowmobiles and quads and I am tired of seeing stuff get closed down. Use common sense before you can't ride quads anywhere. we are in democratic states don't give them amunition to close the areas down.

I dont cut new trails in the OR dunes. In the woods/mountains in NorCal it is a very big no no. But I will admit, the funnest hill climbs and trails at Winchester are the pioneered trails like the one parallel to banshee hill I mentioned. Most of the hill climbs and trails were made 10-20 years ago. I think the forest service patrols and looks for people blazing new trails which is why I was surprised to see a new hill climb. One thing I dont understand about Winchester though is that there is at least 2-3x more open dune area that was closed off a long time ago. It seams like there would be less pressure on the hill climbs and trails if they were to open this area and the beach.