Jetting question

Mast372MIND

Hey guys,

Just finished installing some things I bought for my stock shee and I'm trying to get the jetting dialed in. FMF fattys w/ TC2s, boyesen dual stage power reeds, K+N with 6 vents in airbox (still has lid on it). Anyways, the bike is running great, except for one problem. It bogs right at about have throttle, so I'm thinking its a needle clip issue. It's running about 40-50 deg F on average here in OK and my elevation is about 1000'. I think that I have the mains set up about right at 270s, but I'm considering bumping up to 280s (as AKheathen suggested), but there are no real problems there is the plug color is good and tan.

Anyways, given my mods do you think the clip should be typically moved to a leaner or richer position to solve my problem?

well, the 270 could be spot, i generally suggest starting a little rich. when selecting mains, first concentrate on how it performs at wot warmmed up. if you are unsure, you can do a plug chop and/or try the 280's. what kind of bog in the middle? does it pick up if you hold it there, or does it kind of sputter a little, and can you just go past it to a higher throttle and run good there? if it's 1/2 all the way to wot, then the mains still need changed. and, i would estimate that you would be either at the middle clip on the needle, or 4th clip from the blunt end on stock needles...

well, the 270 could be spot, i generally suggest starting a little rich. when selecting mains, first concentrate on how it performs at wot warmmed up. if you are unsure, you can do a plug chop and/or try the 280's. what kind of bog in the middle? does it pick up if you hold it there, or does it kind of sputter a little, and can you just go past it to a higher throttle and run good there? if it's 1/2 all the way to wot, then the mains still need changed. and, i would estimate that you would be either at the middle clip on the needle, or 4th clip from the blunt end on stock needles...

yeah, the 270s seemed to be pretty good. I started to put in 280s as you suggested before, but the package on the reeds said that they tend to make it more rich so to go down 1 size on the mains, hence the 270s. as far as the bog, it happens right around half throttle. the motor builds power to about half throttle fine, then hesitates until it is opened up to about 3/4 then really takes off good and runs strong on out to full throttle. it revs fine under no load, if that makes any difference (doesn't help me ride any, haha).

I ran 30 pilots w/fattys they like big pilots,I had no lid on 280 mains stock needles all the way rich

i might go ahead and try the 280s, just to be on the safe side (plus its gotten a bit colder around here since last time I rode, dropped from 55 down to about 35 deg F). all the way rich would be the 5th clip position from the blunt end, right? I think I might try the 4th clip first, then move from there. Whats the easiest way to change the clip position? I still have the TORS setup on mine and I hate having to remove the gas tank just to get to them, but if it must be done than it must be done. Also, do the carbs need to be re-sync'd after moving the clip position?

Thanks for the help guys... I appreciate it!

yah, just move the clip 1 position at a time. you just unscrew the big ring and turn the tors sideways, no need to take the tank off. i is a good idea to at least check the sync anytime you loosen the tops. and you are correct on the clip direction

yah, just move the clip 1 position at a time. you just unscrew the big ring and turn the tors sideways, no need to take the tank off. i is a good idea to at least check the sync anytime you loosen the tops. and you are correct on the clip direction

Okay, I bumped up to 280 mains, ran it, bumped them up again to 290s -- much better plug color with the 290s, so I settled on that for the winter months (tuned at 35 deg F). Also went ahead and moved clip to 5th position from blunt end, 1st from needle tip -- this totally fixed the bog/hesitation problem at 1/2 throttle. Runs like a dream now. Pilots are still stock and air screws are 2 turns out. Plugs look good at idle, 1/2 throttle and full throttle. I had to adjust the TORS to get the carbs to sync right, which I hopefully performed correctly. Is there a way to tell if the carbs aren't sync'd properly by how it runs at idle, or must you just go by the little windows and the indicator mark with the throttle slide valve?

Thanks for the advice!

Surprised you had to go that fat on the needle.

Did you start with your main jet and then work your way back into the needle?

The absolute best and most accurate way is to use a sync tool like Jeff @ FAST Sells.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=59

You can get them pretty close by eye. If it starts easy, idles smoothly, doesn't heat up on one side more than the other or smoke out one side more than the other..you're probably pretty darn close.

yah, that's pretty rich on a stock needle......i would keep going up on the mains untill you get a sputter at WOT warmmed up, then go down 1 size and then go back to playing with the needle. if you are unsure, do a proper plug chop as described in the sticky to get your mains diald in.... once you find out what size it needs, then you can bump it up if it is going to get any colder.....

yah, that's pretty rich on a stock needle......i would keep going up on the mains untill you get a sputter at WOT warmmed up, then go down 1 size and then go back to playing with the needle. if you are unsure, do a proper plug chop as described in the sticky to get your mains diald in.... once you find out what size it needs, then you can bump it up if it is going to get any colder.....

Well, I wen't ahead and bought some 27.5 pilots today. Couldn't find them at any of the dealers or the shop I typically use. Ended up going to another shop out of town, which is a great place for banshee parts. Only problem is that they were $10 EACH and they look used!!! If thats not insane, I don't know what is. Double the price of the dealer AND ITS USED??? WTF???

Anyways, I went to install them and realized that I don't have a screwdriver long and skinny enough to access the pilots. Also, I decided to try the clip at the 4th position from the bottom rather than the 5th, due to all of the comments regarding it sounding kinda rich. Tomorrow I'm going tool hunting and will post again with the results.

Thanks for all of the help!!!