Reed cage mods or aftermarket cages

SLORYDER

I was looking at the stock reed cage and realized it is significantly narrower than the intake. IMO a decent amount of air flow could be had by going bigger (vf3 or such).

I was also pondering the possibility of using a cage out of a bigger engine maybe by widening the intake a couple mm too fit. To me this woul be a worthwhile mod if your motor is in a high state of tune.

Anyone have any experience with this or know any worthwhile mods to the stock reed cage?

I have the dual stage reeds on my stock reed cages right now..

blaster cage mod is what you're lloking for. you should port your stockkers, then look into the blaster cages, which can be modded to flow better than vforce banshee cages. stiffer petals will work better in the topend...

So do they drop in or do you have to mod the intake.? I figure that a cage that would be about 2mm wider than our intake would be optimal..

blaster cage mod is what you're lloking for. you should port your stockkers, then look into the blaster cages, which can be modded to flow better than vforce banshee cages. stiffer petals will work better in the topend...

I disagree.. Do you have any flow data to back this up?

Most builds short of a pure drag build can't even take full advantage of a VF cage.

I disagree.. Do you have any flow data to back this up?

Most builds short of a pure drag build can't even take full advantage of a VF cage.

For some reason it won't let me edit my post..

My personal favorite for the smaller builds (4mils and less) would be the chariot cages with dual stage reeds. Jerry has done lots of flow testing with them while designing them.

My personal favorite for the smaller builds (4mils and less) would be the chariot cages with dual stage reeds. Jerry has done lots of flow testing with them while designing them.

My mods are stock cylinders w/ "dune" port, 34mm pj's, pt hi rev's. Might go to cpi pipes and some more porting in the future..You think the stock cages ported will be sufficient? It just does not seem like a lot of area for flow compared to the transfer area.

Edited by SLORYDER

actually, chariot is the one who informed me about the blaster cage mod. i was going to eentually see if chariot has some blaster cages with the boysen reeds to get the ultimate least restriction at all rpm's, especially lower and mid rpm, where i would like it most, without sacraficing the upper rpms

actually, chariot is the one who informed me about the blaster cage mod. i was going to eentually see if chariot has some blaster cages with the boysen reeds to get the ultimate least restriction at all rpm's, especially lower and mid rpm, where i would like it most, without sacraficing the upper rpms

Using bigger cages from other bikes is nothing new to banshee's.. builders were adapting yz125 reeds awhile back. There is a reason they dont do it anymore. It wasn't worth it.. The VF's do a great job on the bottom-mid and can flow enough on top to support banshee's around 500cc's. so restriction is not a issue.

I'll believe it when I see flow data or sheet from a reputable dyno that a blaster cage is better then a VF.

I like the chariot cages cuz they do just as well as the VF's on the bottom thru mid and flow enough on top to feed the smaller drag builds, and their about 60 bucks less. Their just a better bang for the buck for most builds is all..

where the hell are you buying chariot cages for 60? i'm just repeating what i was told by the same guy you're sporting.......

I dont "sport" anyone.. I go with what works and whats proven. I have used chariot cages and I like them, they work.

If someone told me they found a piston from a 95 YZ9'er that out performs anything out there.. I wouldn't be going around telling people its true without seeing the data to back it up or using them myself to collect my own data.

yeah.. Blaster cages probably are cheaper.. but.. If they're cheap and better.. Dont you think with as long as they've been around someone else would have used them long before now? especially with with the drag industry being as heated as it is to find every little bit more and spending millions of dollars every year in R&D.

To each their own... Run'em.

In my experience it depends on how the porting is done. There are alot of people who have tried many different cage porting configurations as opposed to VF3's or chariot cages. CHariot has done alot of flow testing and has come out with a cage that on paper out performs VF3's. My personal oppinion due to price tag is port the stockers and go with petals that are designed for the riding you plan to do. The new chariot cage is also something I would go with if you wanted to spend a little more money. As far as the VF3's unless your running a full drag motor they are not worth the cash and even still the chariots are cheaper. However, if you are not trying to fine tune your motor as much as drag racers do, for example MX riding or dune riding, stockers or blaster cages ported properly will perform as well as the others at a cheaper price.