Flywheel threads

Single point thread cutting is the primary process used on a manual lathe. You have ( you guessed it!) a tool with one 60* point, assuming basic machine threads. It's fed into and along the piece producing a thread of the desired pitch and diameter. The other way to cut a thread would be with a tap or die, and those have multiple points.

I won't discuss thread forming here. :shrugani:

Single point thread cutting is the primary process used on a manual lathe. You have ( you guessed it!) a tool with one 60* point, assuming basic machine threads. It's fed into and along the piece producing a thread of the desired pitch and diameter. The other way to cut a thread would be with a tap or die, and those have multiple points.

I won't discuss thread forming here. :shrugani:

Single point cutting is widely used for automatics and manuals alike. You really would not be thread forming something like this. That is reserved usually for non-ferrous materials. Given the pitch and size of this thread, I think single point cutting will likely be the only option and creates a better controlled thread than a tap/die.

B