is it a "must" to weld and true crank

If you got it out.. and it looks good.. I definately true and weld it.

Word.

Compression is usually the killer of an non-welded crank..... If you are using over 19cc domes at sea level with OEM cylinders, your crank is more than likely going to cause you problems at some point. :geek:

It's really a gamble at best. I've seen nonwelded cranks hold some pretty good power for a long time and I've also seen piped only shee's slip the webs. My recommendation is and always will be to weld it, besides if you're going to drop the coin on porting it might not be a bad idea to split the cases and check the condition of all of your bearings and replace the seals. Like said above, it is cheap insurance against a very costly repair down the road. I've seen cranks let go and take out every part of the engine head/cylinders/cases/transmissions ect. Your choice.

DEFINETLY weld your crank. When I bought my Banshee new in 89 everybody told me to weld the crank. I ignored them, rode the bike for awhile , put pipes on it, rode it awhile longer and the crank let go. It cost me over $700 to get it fixed doing all the work myself and that was in 1991. All my Banshees since have gotten the crank trued and welded the first thing.

Just got my jugs ported put it all back together and then had my crank blow up in less then 2 hours of easy riding. so now im on my new crank that is weld and will see how long this one will last. Just waiting to put my Noss head back on with some new domes...