Looking for EGT temp number to get me close

lt1bird

Did some reaserch and this is what i found

1100 at wot

1000 just before the pipe comes on higher rpm cruze

200 at idle

well, mine is about 180 at idle, about 842 while 1/4 throttle cruzing

at WOT ist 1000

Took it out on the hwy for a run and at wide open throttle it was about 950-1000 then as i roll off the throttle(1/2-3/4) I see the egt shoot up to 1290--1300.....guess what happens next? You guessed it.....just as I start to pull the clutch in I can feel it tighting up/seizing....still stalled but it was very very close.....Guess ill put richer needles in before I do that run again..... I dont think the needle clip postion will fix that problem whats your guess? since its happening right at 1/2-3/4 ill probably need a diffrent needle length....im running a cen.....Guess ill try a DGN as I have some...

like my buddie pete says....If its go tits or wheels its gonna give you trouble"

Im thinking that when I back off the throttle at high rpm from WOT the needle starts to block the main jet causing a lean condtion...

A shorter needle will move that point down the rpm scale... I bet it will still be a bit lean when rolling off the throttle. Only fix i see is a much larger main jet.......even though my main jet is a bit rich right now.....

Aluminum melts an 1250. It's going to depend on how far the EGT prob is from the face of the pistion. You might aswell try raising the needle befor you go out and buy new ones. There is no point in wasting money if you dont need to... JMO

Edited by moneybags

I already have tons of needles.......I think a few things led to this happening..... I went to a much smaller main jet.... from 148 to 142...(trying to get the egt at WOT to 1100f.... the needle clip position is in the leaner second clip position... changing the clip position might help but I think it would simply move the lean condition down the throttle position more.....I think the correct fix is to use a richer needle and move the clip postion and maybe go back up a bit on the main jetting. Around town I never saw any issue at all....all my wot runs were perfect....all my midrange runs etc all looked great...I felt I was done tuning.... around town i never really roll off the throttle from WOT as I do not have enough room to do that...... I figured I would hit the hwy to see if the constant cruzing at speed was good.....it looked just fine..... at 1/2 throttle.... but a sustanded higher rpms must have heated the EGT up too much so when I backed off the throttle to 3/4 throttle it was just enough to make it over heat... I think im lucky I pulled the clutch in so quick...as I could feel it just starting to do it.... ill put a bore scope down the plug hole to check the cyl...

does this happen to others here??

Edited by lt1bird