Compression vs octane (straight race gas)

At what compression do you think you should run high octane (straight race gas)?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want some replies below on where people think it is, or where they voted too. Especially from the seasoned motor guys and our resident builders like flotek, jeff from fast, Daj, Firehead, Blowit, and our buddy out in Nevada.

I voted 170 psi.

I voted 165 cutoff for Prem. gas w/4 degrees timing. I have run 170 w/4 degrees timing BUT you have to have it jetted on the rich side, and you have to have GOOD Prem. fuel (out of a tank that has its own designated fuel hose , not a fuel station that has one hose does all three 87,89,93 etc. as you may get some of the 87 fuel that the last guy pumped out. Some other variables that come into play are squish band width/angle, dome shape, etc... but for the general answer 165 is cutoff.

Yes sir about the 87 fuel! Amoco Ultimate is a good choice as they usually have their own hoses for each octane.

165lb or below and +4 timing setup correctly i recommend Prem 93 octane. Anything higher or more timing etc. requires more octane. IMO THis is with a GOOD Snap On guage as i have seen many many guages read waaaayyyyy off from the Snap On guage.

well, damn, the question is to simple for me to vote definate. i know i would personally switch to strait race fuel around 175-180, but that doesn't account for abmient conditions such as heat,humidity, nitrogen content, or flow iinfluences, such as the exhaust charge or crankcase/intake efficiencies. of caurse, timing, too. the cranking compression really only gives you the condition of the cylinders in regaurds to the compression ratio. it's like asking the same question on a car that can be running n/a, or up to 30# of boost, but not specifying which. you can have 40# difference in cranking compression in 2 different engines that have the same octane requirements. also, are you asking which point you start loosing power from lack of compression for the fuel? :shrug:

This isn't hard, I have seen a lot of guys on here answer this question with little to no info about timing, squish, etc......

Just answer off general rule of thumb for compression vs octane. :wallbash: (if you guys wanna get technical) 9,500rpm dune port motor, 0 degree timing, .045" squish, 75 degrees ambient temp, 72% humidity, 30.01 barometric pressure, at sea level, and 0 pounds of boost! :clap:

Jeff (Fast) So what compression for the cutoff to go to straight race fuel. Im not worried at the point where you think the need starts for higher octane.