motor help please im about to die!

ok, so last weekend i got to crank up my quad to ride and for some reason one pipe is smoking and the other is not smoking at all, i havent had a chance to work on it, i was gonna see if someone could maybe give me a list of things to check before i go crazy, ok both carbs are synced, and set perfectly, both air screws are two turns out. it should be working on both sides perfectly, i was just gonna see if someone could give me a list of things to check for and make sure im not making any stupid mistakes before i take it to the shop and they charge me for some bs. someone said check my reeds? or choke plunger? maybe plug wires? im totally cluesless any help would be awesome. thanks guys could it possibly be maybe new top end time, im freaking out

When it is running is the side that doesn't smoke feel cold? If so then it's not getting spark or fuel.A simple way to determine if it's getting fuel is pull the air filters or box if you have it and spray a few shots of starting fluid through the carb (throttle wide open) on that cylinder just to see if it fires and runs on that side.If it does than obviously that means your not getting fuel and you probably have a clogged main or a grain of sand stuck in the needle seat so it doesn't open...and yes it has happened to me.

Or swap plug wires and see if the side that doesn't fire switches.Check your grounds,harness plugs etc...just don't take it to a dealer to get ass raped for a simple fix...good luck

When it is running is the side that doesn't smoke feel cold? If so then it's not getting spark or fuel.A simple way to determine if it's getting fuel is pull the air filters or box if you have it and spray a few shots of starting fluid through the carb (throttle wide open) on that cylinder just to see if it fires and runs on that side.If it does than obviously that means your not getting fuel and you probably have a clogged main or a grain of sand stuck in the needle seat so it doesn't open...and yes it has happened to me.

Or swap plug wires and see if the side that doesn't fire switches.Check your grounds,harness plugs etc...just don't take it to a dealer to get ass raped for a simple fix...good luck

sweet thanks man ill check all that tomorrow i wanna say that the side that doesnt smoke was cold one time but when it first started it was the hot side like not enough fuel was getting in or something, but the other day i cranked it for like 30 secs and teh side not smoking was cold so maybe i didnt have something hooked up right? ill check through all that tomorrow, and if none of that is the problem, im gonna have to fork out some dollars right? thanks again

No way dude.Don't fork over any money on that.What you have wrong is a simple fix man.Just try the starting fluid first.When you start it let it run while the one side runs like shit then spray some in.If it fires and runs normal than it's a fuel issue/simple fix...just don't waste your money man..

electrical can be a little more tricky but it can only be a hand full of things.Use process of elimination and pretty soon you'll figure it out in no time.

No way dude.Don't fork over any money on that.What you have wrong is a simple fix man.Just try the starting fluid first.When you start it let it run while the one side runs like shit then spray some in.If it fires and runs normal than it's a fuel issue/simple fix...just don't waste your money man..

electrical can be a little more tricky but it can only be a hand full of things.Use process of elimination and pretty soon you'll figure it out in no time.

cool ok so check the plugs caps and the starting fluid? ill check all that tomorrow when i get off work, someone said maybe a crack in your reed? does that make sense at all, maybe i have sand in my carbs too idk where i ride is sandy and i have a k&n with outerwears but no airbox lid, so maybe sand could have got in there man i would love for money to not be a big deal ha

yea a cracked reed would cause it to run like shit too but i would think that it would at least fire and the exhaust would be warm.It sounds to me like you eaither arn't getting spark or fuel. And sand can get in even if you have an outerware on your filter.It may not even be sand it can be a little rock or something ya know. Before you start pulling your air box try swapping plug wires and see if the problem moves.If not then go ahead and pull the box and try the starting fluid deal. I don't know how you deal with that air box though man.Personally i would ditch that thing and buy 2 K&N's with outerwares.That air box takes up so much damn room and is a PITA when you have to pull the carbs for any reason.

yea a cracked reed would cause it to run like shit too but i would think that it would at least fire and the exhaust would be warm.It sounds to me like you eaither arn't getting spark or fuel. And sand can get in even if you have an outerware on your filter.It may not even be sand it can be a little rock or something ya know. Before you start pulling your air box try swapping plug wires and see if the problem moves.If not then go ahead and pull the box and try the starting fluid deal. I don't know how you deal with that air box though man.Personally i would ditch that thing and buy 2 K&N's with outerwares.That air box takes up so much damn room and is a PITA when you have to pull the carbs for any reason.

you're right if I took the box off and went with the dual filters would I have to rejet? I have a 320 main needle on 4th clip and 25 pilot? and if its kinda wet and muddy sometimes where I ride wouldn't it be better to keep the box on? thanks for all the help I'm gonna try it tomorrow so shoot the starting fluid in the carb that's not getting hot if the wires and plugs aren't the problem? and see how it runs?

look at your airbox when you ride. if it gets hit with alot of mud and water, then just leave it. if it only gets a bit, or none, then do pods. If you aren't running a lid, then jetting should be the same.

90% of the people that help on this site are alot better banshee mechanics than at least 90% of the dealership mechanics, and it's free :beer:

ok I have spark I put new plugs in and it fired right up but that one side is still running lean? should I clean my carbs now? and check the reed on that side the cylinder seems to be running fine just lean so I'm getting less gas in that one side maybe I got shit in my carb?

ha ok so it worked for about 30 mins, there wasnt much dirt in the carburetor, but i cleaned the side that was running lean, so i go to run it down the street, and when the powerband kicks in its really really really lean like just flies through the top end. maybe my float is stuck closed so not enough gas can get in? ha im about to just buy new carbs : (. i cleaned the carb completely totally took everything apart, and it cranked up perfect, smoked right on both sides, i rode for 30 mins and it started running lean, maybe i got dirt in my gas tank or something, but the fuel lines flow perfect? its gotta be in the carbs, and they are jetted perfect too is whats making me crazy. ha sorry i keep asking so much guys im just ready to fucking ride thanks again

Edited by 97stageIVBansh