CDI BOX ISSUES

OK,

i've tried 2 different ricky stator CDI boxes and it runs bad still in the top end.

i've tried to get two used cdi's and they were both crap, didn't even start the quad.

(THIS IS MY FREINDS BEANSHEE BTW)

my freind got to talking to a guy who drags banshees and he said that the older boxes

(THIS IS A 92 BANSHEE) had issues he even tried getting a new one from yamaha and still crap.

he said he put the newer wiring harness and CDI and it was fixed.

any thoughts on this????

or could i get the newer CDI and the plugs and solder them on to the existing wiring harness??

help please,lol.

we are getting ready to go to the sand dunes in early march and i don't want him to break down out there and be fucked.

OK,

i've tried 2 different ricky stator CDI boxes and it runs bad still in the top end.

i've tried to get two used cdi's and they were both crap, didn't even start the quad.

(THIS IS MY FREINDS BEANSHEE BTW)

my freind got to talking to a guy who drags banshees and he said that the older boxes

(THIS IS A 92 BANSHEE) had issues he even tried getting a new one from yamaha and still crap.

he said he put the newer wiring harness and CDI and it was fixed.

any thoughts on this????

or could i get the newer CDI and the plugs and solder them on to the existing wiring harness??

help please,lol.

we are getting ready to go to the sand dunes in early march and i don't want him to break down out there and be fucked.

i know you have tried a few different cdi boxes but there is no way to test them to see if there bad unless you test with a known good one. i think you have a different problem in the elctrical system. might wanna look at your grounds on the coil. test the stator. i have also been told to stay away from ricky stator stuff and i am sure teh cdi box is junk as well. go through the system and ohm everything. and i have heard of people buying the new boxes and just rewiring to work on there system. or you can just buy a used harness that will work the new cdi box. you can find them on ebay pretty cheap or on here. good luck. i know i am kinda of long winded sorry

is it still the stock stator and timing? i've heard nothin but bad about rickt stator. you could update it, but i would check your pickup gap (both sides if it's aftermarket like r/s) and replace the plug caps and plugs before you spend much more on it. the caps are really cheap and hard to rule out if they're not completely blown. i highly doubt you got 2 bad cdi's

i know you have tried a few different cdi boxes but there is no way to test them to see if there bad unless you test with a known good one. i think you have a different problem in the elctrical system. might wanna look at your grounds on the coil. test the stator. i have also been told to stay away from ricky stator stuff and i am sure teh cdi box is junk as well. go through the system and ohm everything. and i have heard of people buying the new boxes and just rewiring to work on there system. or you can just buy a used harness that will work the new cdi box. you can find them on ebay pretty cheap or on here. good luck. i know i am kinda of long winded sorry

WE went through the steps of replacing the stator and the coil already we've ohm'd them many times just in case.

with the ricky stator one it would run but not in the top end IT'S WEIRD the two boxes he's gotten neither worked at all we would put the ricky one back one and it would fire on the first kick.

that's why he's going nuts now not knowing what to do next. the OEM box is like 800.00 and that's way to much

is it still the stock stator and timing? i've heard nothin but bad about rickt stator. you could update it, but i would check your pickup gap (both sides if it's aftermarket like r/s) and replace the plug caps and plugs before you spend much more on it. the caps are really cheap and hard to rule out if they're not completely blown. i highly doubt you got 2 bad cdi's

but that's the weird part the R.S. CDI works but not right, the others didn't work at all.

it's crazy. it seems like it's limited on the top end.

but that's the weird part the R.S. CDI works but not right, the others didn't work at all.

i don't know how you can say that the cdi is not working right. there is no way to test it or tell its bad or not working right. i know that a a oem one is 800 bucks. i would also check your flywheel. pull it off and shake it see if it rattles. maybe your spark is all over the pace causeing it to run like shit. change your plugs. try a different coil. hell buy another harness on ebay for cheap. i know there are some oem stuff on there fr cheap. there is a guy on craigslist that just bought a oem cdi at north county yamaha in san diego and he is selling for 150. brand new. i can look for the post for you if you would like. but i highly doubt its your cdi. ricky stator stuff is junk. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/1000416226.html call this guy and see if he will ship to you

Edited by jasons

the r/s box could be a little more sensitive on the pickup, making it fire to start. what's the gap? also, it might be a jetting issue. what about my q's?

you can pickup a newer style cdi and harness used pretty cheap too, but i don't think that's the prob. i could be wrong

the r/s box could be a little more sensitive on the pickup, making it fire to start. what's the gap? also, it might be a jetting issue. what about my q's?

you can pickup a newer style cdi and harness used pretty cheap too, but i don't think that's the prob. i could be wrong

WE CHecked the gap and it was good, this whole thing started it ran fine parked it then it didn't want to start.

we had already put in a new RS stator and then coil, we got the RS cdi and it ran but not right.

WE CHecked the gap and it was good, this whole thing started it ran fine parked it then it didn't want to start.

we had already put in a new RS stator and then coil, we got the RS cdi and it ran but not right.

did you drop the flywheel. are the knobs on the flywheel rusted. shake it see if it rattles. start ohming the harness.

did you drop the flywheel. are the knobs on the flywheel rusted. shake it see if it rattles. start ohming the harness.

BUT WHY would one work and the others not, two different RS

the first the bike like half revd up.

the second one it ran 3/4 throttle, alot better but no top end.

and both of the used OEM CDI's didn't work at all.

You may be so rich on your jetting, that neither CDI is capable of letting it rev completely out. What is your alt,, and jetting specs, and temp?

i honestly dont think he knows, he bought the bike already built up. i can't remember all that has been done i know it has aftermarket carbs on it,

PISTONS etc.

I KNOW HE's road it in cold weather also, it's becomming one annyoying issue.

i think we are only like a 1000ft. above sealevel. it was tuned around here.

Edited by oldskoolracer