newbie question on first banshee

bmaxcy

I just bought my first banshee last night and am not sure if it is performing like it should because if never been around one before. it is a 2000 model the only mods i am aware of are a cool head with 21cc domes, a white bros boost bottle, t5 pipes,been rejetted for pipe, and k&n with airbox lid removed.the problem is it is very lazy on take off and i was wandering if it is normal. If you take of in first gear it has no power for about 50 or 60 feet and then wakes up. as long as you are moving 20 or 30 mph it has plenty of response the only other 2 stroke ive rode was a blaster and it did not do this is it normal or do i have jetting problems or something.

I dont really know any history on the bike i bought it on ebay. it starts good.today i pulled the choke all the way out kicked on time almost started so pushed choke in half then kicked again and it started and idled good it was about 55F degrees here.it revs good smooth in neutral. but when you put it in gear a start to move it sounds bogged down and very lazy no throttle response at all until about 10 or 15 mph then it wakes up and is very quick and responsive it seems to pull harder after 4th gear though.

I just bought my first banshee last night and am not sure if it is performing like it should because if never been around one before. it is a 2000 model the only mods i am aware of are a cool head with 21cc domes, a white bros boost bottle, t5 pipes,been rejetted for pipe, and k&n with airbox lid removed.the problem is it is very lazy on take off and i was wandering if it is normal. If you take of in first gear it has no power for about 50 or 60 feet and then wakes up. as long as you are moving 20 or 30 mph it has plenty of response the only other 2 stroke ive rode was a blaster and it did not do this is it normal or do i have jetting problems or something.

Congrats on the purchase. I myself being a noob have learned a great deal off these guys. I kinda had the same problem too. I have an open airbox lid because mine ever came with one. I cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the airbox lid and duct taped it on. I did see a noticeable improvement. It would be a good idea to clean them carbs out also and check your plugs for color and proper gap. Make sure your carbs are in synch after you are done! If you fire your girl up and theres smoke comin from one pipe, dont run it! Lastly get rid of that paperweight! Yes I'm talkin about the boost bottle... Im puttin it nicely than most HQer's will.

yep, ditch the boost bottle and put a stock crossover tube back on in its place... also sounds like the slides could be in the carbs backwards... looking into the back of the carbs, you should see that the slides have a arch on the bottom of them.. if they are just straight they are in backwards.. also check the crossover tube, its a tube that is between the carbs, it connects from one carb to the next.. good luck.. just dive in and start learning man.. it will make life easier if you do.

i have a white brothers bottle sitting right in front of me right now. i'm using it for testing purposes, but the tubes that go into the manifolds are too close together by between 1/8"- 1/4" i noticed putting the intakes on with it attatched. the tube fits perfectly. also, it requires 1-2 pilot jet sizes. the purpose is also to mute the snap, so, yah, i'd start with the bottle, but first, check your carbs. when it's warmed up to temp, adjust the iair screws so that it idles the highest, then turn it back down to about 1500 rpm. make sure you have fresh gas mixed to a good ratio. cleaning the carbs is always a good first maintenance step too, then sync them. if the screws are more than 2 turns out, you need a smaller pilot. less than 1 turn out, you need a bigger pilot. if they are different than eachother by more than 1/4 turn, you have a prob to look for, like airleak or reeds.

just re-read your post- was that 20-30 in first gear? count your sprocket teeth, and check the rear tire size. 14/41 is stock.

thanks for the quick responses. when i looked in my carbs to check if the slides were in the right way i found the problem. the throttle cable was disconnected in the TORS on one of the carbs. i just thought it was fast before. now i can say i know what a banshee is supposed to run like.