flipping front rims

I wanna flip my front rims really bad but im not exactly sure how. I did a search and i couldnt find a complete post on how to do it. If someone could help with some instructions thad be great. Also where do i buy the valve stems? And what size drill bit do i need?

thanks for your help

Dan

Edited by stockridinshee

Remove the front valve stems.

Buy 4 new valve stems. In the original hole, pull a new valve stem inwards...towards the inside of the rim. Or...backwards if you will. That will plug the original hole.

Then, using the drill, drill a hole for the valve stem on the inside of the rim, pulling that valve stem out...

It's wise to remove your tires completely...so you can clean out any shavings and chamfer the new hole so it doesn't cause any rips/tears in the new valve stem.

Then...of course, swap tires in front. This will give you about an extra 3 inches or so width in the front.

HOWEVER...be warned. It will put more stress on wheel bearings, etc. YOu might want to check their condition beforehand.

Now...that being said. I've done this to two 'shees in the past...both 87's...and they were ridden for years without issue.

Yes....you can get any old automotive style valve stem.

You could even get a steel locking style, if you want.

I'm not sure what size it is. I want to say 3/4 ", but I'm not sure...you have two choices.

1...remove the old valvestem, and measure that hole with either a Micrometer, tape measure or a drill bit.

2. I'm sure the valve stem will either have a marking on it...or the box the guy pulls it out of will.

Honestly...I just had mine done by a friend who works at a shop ( I Just got back from a vacation)...so, I don't know off the top of my head.

Should be cake to figure out...though!!

Youre shee is really gonna love the corners now. I've got a Durablue Axle and my rear rims swapped...so, it's almost 6 inches wider than stock out back...

It loves to carve!!!

They make a tool, it's a long handle...that screws onto the top of the threaded part of the stem. You then rip it out. Yes, it will ruin it 9 times out of 10. Any automotive or bike repair shop has this.

Or...once the bead is broken, you can carefully take a razor knife and cut the old valve stem out from the inside, too.

Honestly...you might be better off taking these to a shop that does tires. They can do it in 1/4 of the time you can...and probably only charge 5 to 10 bucks each.

As for drilling the new stem...I'd put it in the middle of the ring...

It's not going to hit anything...and I'd keep it away from the outer most part of the rim, to a rock/stick. etc. doesn't hit it.

Obviously, where ever you do place it...it has to be 100% flat so the stem seals properly...

When I get my rims back...later this week, I'll post a pic or two. I'm going to pick up my new fronts today (XCRs) and get them mounted tomorrow or Wednesday...

I just called the friend of mine who did it for me and he said that a 29/64 drill bit worked perfect. I love the mod and haven't had any issues in the year I've ridden on them. :cheers:

334955[/snapback]

Yep...been a couple of years since my buds had their 'shees. But...when I worked on them for 'em, it was one of the first things I did. Next to nothing for $$ invested, and I would have to say you get between 3 and 4 inches of extra width.

Would you agree...bigboybanshee?

I'm going to pick up my new fronts today (XCRs) and get them mounted tomorrow or Wednesday...

334956[/snapback]

Holeshot XCR's? Like these?

yamaha-banshee-94-bikepics-300087.jpg

If so, they're great tires :cheers:

And to reply to your last post, it is an EXCELLENT mod for the money...Night and day difference in handling/turning and it added at least 2 inches in width.

Yep...yep.

Picking up my Holeshot XCRs tonight from Magic...lucky enough to live only 20 minutes from them.

I got the XCRs out back, and will have the matching set up front now....

I've read/heard the XCRs are the ticket for trails...which, is mostly what I (we) Ride...

http://www.magicracing.com/product.asp?itemid=40&catid=106

It fried the stock rears...(go figure) So...I'm looking forward to hooking and throwing some roost on my 3 buds and their TRX450Rs...(well...hopefully...:)

I wanna flip my front rims really bad but im not exactly sure how. I did a search and i couldnt find a complete post on how to do it. If someone could help with some instructions thad be great. Also where do i buy the valve stems? And what size drill bit do i need?

thanks for your help

Dan

334810[/snapback]

Just buy the flush mount valve stems and replace the old ones. Forget about drilling extra holes in you rims. eeeeek.

we sell em on ebay for like 20 something buy it now for 4 flush stems.

Just search for banshee flush

Those look interesting...

How easy is it to air them up with the caliper/sterring/backing plate assembly all right there?

Either way...you're gonna have to take the rim off...and remove the old valve stem.

Drilling is no big deal....and, Valve stems are about 1.50 or so...each.

Your choice...