Fine tuning the brass...

Need some advice here. I've used the pinned jetting sheet...what a great article...thanks.

I'm trying to fine tune it...though. And I'm trying to accelerate the curve.

96 shee. Stock, except for:

Airbox removed, K&Ns on the back.

Boyseen Reeds in stock cages.

TORS removed, Motion Pro twist kit and Toomey Idle kit.

That's it. T-6's are going on later this year...but, till then.

I'm in MI, it's about 25 to 35 degrees. Around 1000ft or so elevation.

In the stock carbs, I've got stock needle in 4th clip, 250 mains and 27.5 pilots.

1 full turn out on the air screws. No...I haven't gotten a chance to rip and check the plugs...yet. Up and down the street is about it...

It seems just a bit flat off idle. Mid to top seem pretty good.

Starting is a little tough dead cold. Once it's a little warm, though...the good old banshee half kick and it purrs to life and idles pretty smooth.

Bogs a little. Do you think it's possible even with the one bump up from stock pilots it's still too rich? I read you need to lean the needle with REEDs...but, shouldn't it be richer with the ab removed and K&Ns?

Thanks!

:notworthy:

Edited by dajogejr

seeing how most people that i talked to dont change thier pilots with a restrictive stock exhaust sytem theres a good chance your pilots are to rich ,reread that article and do the choke trick,ths will tell you for sure. i ve had some real headaches with pilots and i swore up and down it was smokey and too rich off the bottom ,even though the choke said its still too lean ,i fuct with the pilots alot till i gave in, and went way rich on the pilots and she loved it ! the choke doesnt lie! :headbang:

After reading around here a bit...I agree.

Here's the thing...bought this off a friend. I did all the work on it years ago..probably around 98.

I don't remember jetting it this fat....but, when I took the carbs off, it had 250 mains and 30 pilots.

Even for as cold as it is here...it was still rich. So...I bumped the mains and pilots down one each.

Even so...I think they pi's are richy...too. Gonna go order the stock 25 pilots tomorrow from the dealer...unless you can point me towards a cheaper, quicker alternative.

Last tuesday, I ordered the pilots from 27.5 to 32.5, and mains from 210 to 250...without even knowing what was in it. Got 'em Friday.

So...I'm missing stock pilots...got a good, cheap and quick source?

Oh, and thanks again for the advice.

Edited by dajogejr

Did you try setting the air screws to 2.5 turns out to lean the pilots out, I would think with K&N pods you might flow enough air to use 27.5's and stock pipes.

Put the needle back to the middle clip, thats probably what is making the slight bog your feeling. When I went from stock to boysen reeds on my stock motor with FMF's it ran best with the needle in the middle clip before and after adding the reeds. I think some reeds might like a change in the needle, some don't.

I just had 'em all apart...I should've read here first.

Put the 25's in...did clean it up a bit.

I'll put the clip back on both next week...

Now..question. Idled and ran and sounded pretty good. However...when I pulled the choke half or all the way out...it wanted to die out. Soon as I put it back in...ran fine.

So...sounds like my next move is move the clips up one, and then the screws out 1/2 to 1 1/2 turns...

Also...my dumb ass did put the float bowls on wrong. They were back'ards.... :(

All set now, though.

Thanks for the tips...guys. This bike's always been a strong runner, but...as said, years ago...I just threw some richer jets in to compensate for the more air...and never had time to fine tune it. Now, of course...it's my bike, and I know it can be just a bit cleaner.

Keep in mind...it's about 25 to 35 degrees here...so, I expect a little richer, too.

I should add...they were in the 3rd before I got into this...so, I think with leaner pilots and mains, clip is next....then air screws.

Edited by dajogejr